Borough Market Sunday opening

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 22 February 2009 12.33pm
Hello,

Does anyone know why Borough Market is closed on Sundays ?

I would have thought it better for traders, customers and the surrounding area for it to be opened throughout the weekend and closed a day during the week instead.

Regards.
Sunday 22 February 2009 3.52pm
It is pretty much closed during the week!

Re Sundays, presumably it's a licensing issue, though also the difficulties of Sunday travel for some traders might be a factor.
Sunday 22 February 2009 11.24pm
I think that's right - a lot of the traders do other markets during the week. I suppose some of the larger outfits could probably do Sunday if they really wanted (e.g. Flour Power, Brindisa), but really most want the time off.

Of course, it would be nice if Monmouth was open on Sundays, instead of Mrs McGrumpys miserable cake shoppe.
Monday 23 February 2009 9.58am
A lot of the traders actually can be found at Spitalfields and other Sunday markets - shock horror!
Monday 23 February 2009 10.15am
6 underground wrote:
Mrs McGrumpys miserable cake shoppe.

Made me laugh !

Kevin
Monday 23 February 2009 12.16pm
I think the no Sundy opening has something to do with Southwark Cathedral.

Reference to Mrs McGrumpy's made me laugh too.
Monday 23 February 2009 10.26pm
They used to sell Borough market style food in Camden passage on Sundays under that metallic shelter that's not there any more.
Tuesday 24 February 2009 6.35am
The Sunday market in Marylebone is nice.

And if you're a true devotee, you can get Monmouth coffee in Canteen 7 days a week! Probably many other places too (....I think the Table on Southwark St, for one?).

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: