Supermarkets in SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Tuesday 24 February 2009 12.31pm
I've just moved to a flat in The Cut, and am struggling to find a decent supermarket nearby. The two stores in The Cut are fine for some things, but you can't get fresh meat or fish, and the vegetable selection is limited. The Sainsburys near Waterloo is hopeless compared to a lot of other Sainsburys metros. Does anyone have any suggestions? I see there was a debate on this site back in 2002 on this same topic, but hoping things might have improved since then!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Kate
Tuesday 24 February 2009 12.53pm
If you're after fresh produce, check out Greensmiths on Lower Marsh.

And welcome to SE1!
Tuesday 24 February 2009 12.58pm
I haven't found s decent consistent supermarket in SE1. There are a couple on the borders but I choose a quick tube ride to Canary Wharf where there is a superb Waitrose. Greensmiths is good for fruit & vege & bakery stuff. If you haven't already done so, Borough Market on Thurs/Fri/Sat is the best place for fresh food (albeit a little pricey!!)

again "welcome to SE1" from a fellow aussie
Tuesday 24 February 2009 1.02pm
I also recommend Greensmiths for meat, cheese, coffee and veg. The best way to get the essential heavy cupboard stuff is though Ocado, online Waitrose food. Delivered to the door and the service is excellent.
Tuesday 24 February 2009 1.16pm
I regularly take the tube from Southwark to Canada Water for the big Tesco at Surrey Quays. It is open 24h and does not break your bank balance either. The local shops around here are unfortunately only good for top-ups and emergencies.
Zoe
Tuesday 24 February 2009 2.08pm
I know it sounds unlikely, but you might want to try the Iceland on Lower Marsh, it can be quite useful. Howver, for a large shop you need to take a tube to Surrey Quays, or get a bus to Tescos or Asda on Old Kent Road.
Tuesday 24 February 2009 2.50pm
Thanks so much everyone, that is really useful. Everything else about SE1 is great, I am sure I will get used to the shopping situation.

Kate
Tuesday 24 February 2009 2.52pm
There's also a very large Sainsbury's at Nine Elms - 5 mins walk from Vauxhall Stn which is just one stop on the trains from Waterloo.
Tuesday 24 February 2009 2.58pm
The 77 bus also goes directly from Waterloo to the Sainsbury's at Nine Elms.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 24 February 2009 4.37pm
Although not the best stocked Sainsbury's in the world...but somewhat improved from last year when it was dire.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: