Council Tax - Lambeth and Southwark

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 26 February 2009 11.58am
Both Lambeth and Southwark have agreed, this week, to freeze council tax for 09/10. Lambeth have also promised to try and fund 10/11 at the 08 rate, although this will involve "efficiencies".

The GLA precept has also been frozen, so unless the emergency services section goes up we can at least look forward to no increase.

Other Londoner's, such as those living in Bromley, haven't been as lucky with an above inflation (obviously, given we are in a recession) rise.
Thursday 26 February 2009 1.02pm
As a Lambeth resident, I think this is great news.

For people interested in comparison, I found an interesting file here:

http://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/London%20Councils/200910CouncilTaxMonitorpressrelease20090225%20(2).xls
Thursday 26 February 2009 4.03pm
Anyone know when the bills are coming out?
Friday 27 February 2009 10.00am
On a related note, does anyone know which months we don't have to pay council tax? I always thought it was February and March, but they took a payment in February.

(Sorry if this is going a little bit off-topic.)
Friday 27 February 2009 10.33am
You usually get the option to pay in 10 installemnts which means paying April to Jan and getting a break for Feb and Mar....kristyb were you up to date with your payments or had something changed during the year? Best to check with them as they can be a bit disorganised (personal experience).

Bills should come out pretty soon....usually first week in March as I recall.

Pleased to see there won't be any increase this year and that the Council will be living in the same (real) world that the rest of us do.
Friday 27 February 2009 11.04am
urbanite wrote:
You usually get the option to pay in 10 installemnts which means paying April to Jan and getting a break for Feb and Mar....kristyb were you up to date with your payments or had something changed during the year? Best to check with them as they can be a bit disorganised (personal experience).

Could be because we moved in in May, I suppose... you're right, it's probably best if I ring them up and find out what's going on. Thanks for the reply!
Friday 27 February 2009 3.28pm
@KristyB

I moved in September08 and they didn't sort out the payments until November08! That meant I had to pay 4 large chunks of Nov08, Dec08, Jan09, Feb09.

Obviously, even though the council tax was pro-rated down because it wasn't for the full year, I still had to pay considerably larger amounts than I would have done if I'd not been unreasonable and moved to Lambeth! I'm looking forward to April09 when it will go down to being reasonable again...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: