Aylesbury Estate - what was the street pattern before it was built?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 26 February 2009 6.51pm
Hi can anyone tell me what streets used to be where the Aylesbury Est. is now? I know the estate is west of Old Kent Road and that there used to be streets with Victorian houses but cannot remember their names.
Thursday 26 February 2009 7.34pm
Hi Vonnie
You could zooming in on this map here to check
Luke

Newington and Walworth map
Thursday 26 February 2009 7.34pm
Hello Vonnie.
I used to live in one of the streets that now lie under the Alyesbury Est. If I can remember correctly and some of these may or may not still be there, ( I now live in Wales so cannot check.
From Walworth/Camberwell Road I think it was Red Lion ST, Boyson Road, Boudary Lane, Kelsey ST, Cunard ST, also the old work house on the right plus all the Regency houses along Westmoreland Road demolished, ? Faraday St, Man St, Inville Road ( had family living here) Ben Cope St ( I lived here ) Toole St, Lebanon St, Sedan St, and ? Alvey Road. In all hundreds of houses all demolised to build a slum.
Friday 27 February 2009 12.26am
Vonnie,

Booth's Poverty map is a wonderful place to see the old street layout. Under Booths map is a map which shows what the present day layout and street names are should there have been a change.

By accessing his notes, you are able, by proxy, to see them as they were when he walked them in 1898.
Friday 27 February 2009 1.01am
I remember the old workhouse in Westmoreland Road! It was derelict and looked very creepy with its broken windows. My Nan lived in Kinglake St and we would either go to East St via Alvey St, or down Westmoreland Rd to come out in Walworth Road near the Co-op. As far as I remember the Aylesbury took some years to complete, and there were quite a lot of building sites to negotiate.

Those Booth poverty maps are fascinating. they are available, together with transcripts of the notebooks online at the LSE website. booth at lse
Friday 27 February 2009 6.17am
Thank you everyone for your help, I am having a great time looking at all the maps. Living here in NZ I cannot just hop on a bus to see the areas as they are now and over the past couple of years I have been helped greatly by the people on this forum.

Thanks again.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: