Moving to SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 27 February 2009 1.54am
hello!

i'm currently living in south east london and am planning to move to se1 in september. am just trying to do some research about where the best places to live are/ which are the safest / any estate agents to use/avoid ?

any help would be very much appreciated indeed!
thanks
Friday 27 February 2009 9.48am
Hi

What sort of place are you looking for? one bed, two bed flat, house etc? Budget? Any transport you particularly want to be close to etc? Looking to buy or rent?

If you can give more details I'm sure the helful people on here could advise you accordingly. I moved to SE1 last November and live on Southwark Bridge Road. SE1 covers a fairly large area though and whereas some people might think certain areas are "edgy" others would just feel unsafe so its personal preference really.

Best think I can advise is to just walk around over the course of a few evenings or weekends. YOu get a good feel for the area and can judge for yourself where you may or may not want to live.

Good luck!
Friday 27 February 2009 10.05am
If you put "estate agents" or "moving to SE1" into the search box on this site you'll find some previous threads that might be helpful.
Friday 27 February 2009 10.57am
I think SE1 is generally safe. However, some areas are touristy and feel very safe during the day and this seems to make some people lower their guard at night, when they shouldn't. I feel safer here than anywhere else I've lived in London.
Friday 27 February 2009 12.14pm
n.elliott1 - hurrah for you - good choice!
Friday 27 February 2009 1.39pm
Why not have a look at the Socials section on this forum and go along to whatever's on - I'm sure everyone will be more than happy to chat about various areas and options with you. (As well as on here of course).

Good luck and good choice!
Friday 27 February 2009 7.52pm
I think there are a lot of cool places in SE1 but, as other posters have pointed out, it's a pretty large postcode.

What sort of thing are you after? Something close to transport, close to nightlife, close to the river, close to the City, all of the above?

Friday 27 February 2009 10.20pm
thank you for all your repsonses and for being so friendly! it's very encouraging!

looking for a 1 bed apartment around 350pw.
ideally i would like to live near the river/southbank/possibly shad thames; as it's always so busy. i quite like the reassurance of knowing it will always be quite busy later on in the evenings. i sometimes work quite late at weekends and knowing i can get home safely is a priority. somewhere close to london bridge/waterloo station would be ideal as well..but i'm not quite sure if a combination of all these things is possible!
Friday 27 February 2009 11.39pm
Shad Thames can actually feel pretty dead at night. Maybe look more around Bermondsey St (e.g. Tanner St or Leathermarket St)?
Friday 27 February 2009 11.46pm
It is a great place to live n.elliott1.

I would suggest getting a bike and cycling around the area - you can cover a lot of ground quickly and see how different areas are at different times. I live near London Bridge, but Waterloo has probably more in the way of housing and Lower Marsh has lots more happening than it did a few years ago. Overall, I think most of SE1 feels very safe (but then I lived down the Walworth road before moving up here).
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: