Ethnic minorities - 40 to 50 % of London?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 28 February 2009 11.17pm
SE1 story on National Theatre play

One of the protestors, a playwright called Hussain Ismail said that "This is a national public theatre funded by us including ethnic minorities of London which represent 40 to 50 per cent of London'.

It never occured to me that ethnic minorities represent 40 to 50 % of London. Is this so?

Related news & features

Sunday 1 March 2009 12.31am
I've got no idea what the proportion of ethnic minorities has to do with what's on at the National, but checking the 2001 census results for London as a whole, it appears that the proportion of "white" people in London is 5,103,203/7,172,091 = 71.2%, making the BME proportion, presumably, 28.8%.

Last time I checked, this was significantly less than 40%.

In Southwark, the equivalent figure is 1-154,316/244,866 = 37%.
Sunday 1 March 2009 1.20am
phoenix wrote:
It never occured to me that ethnic minorities represent 40 to 50 % of London. Is this so?

I have no idea, but it is a racing certainty that a host of left wing fingers will be skipping lightly over keyboards aiming vitriol in your direction just for wondering if it is.
Sunday 1 March 2009 9.45am
I thought the play included white ethnic minorities as well.
Eastern European ethnic minorities must make up a sizeable percentage of London today.
Sunday 1 March 2009 2.00pm
Debrajoan reckons the lefties may attack me for asking question about the ethnic makeup of London.

Never fear, I am allowed, because I am classed as ethnic minority myself. Irish. Subjugated for 800 years, you know! And even now, I can't become Prime Minister. I can't marry the Monarch. I can't get a book in Irish from the John Harvard library. And I can't hear Daniel O'Donnell on Radio 1.

It's an outrage!

Runs off to join National Theatre picket.
Sunday 1 March 2009 6.29pm
phoenix wrote:
Debrajoan reckons the lefties may attack me for asking question about the ethnic makeup of London.
Never fear, I am allowed, because I am classed as ethnic minority myself. Irish. Subjugated for 800 years, you know! I can't marry the Monarch. And I can't hear Daniel O'Donnell on Radio 1.

I think that is what is known as the luck of the Irish!
Be thankful for small Murphys Phoenix!
Sunday 1 March 2009 8.24pm
The Duke of Wellington who was Prime Minister was born in Dublin and I'm sure there were one or two others.
And the only reason you can't get a book in Irish from John Harvard is because it's closed for refurbisbment. It did have books in Gaeilge when it was open. As for Daniel O'Donnell, lets leave his music to Terry Wogan, who became a British citizen so he could be called Sir Terry!!
Monday 2 March 2009 1.13pm
Debrajoan wrote:
phoenix wrote:

I have no idea, but it is a racing certainty that a host of left wing fingers will be skipping lightly over keyboards aiming vitriol in your direction just for wondering if it is.

Not necessarily! I consider myself of the left but don't see why that would preclude myself or others from discussing demography.
Monday 2 March 2009 1.55pm
phoenix wrote:
One of the protestors, a playwright called Hussain Ismail said that "This is a national public theatre funded by us including ethnic minorities of London which represent 40 to 50 per cent of London'.

looking at those census stats it is the case for his local borough - Tower Hamlets, white people make up 51% of the population there, so BME's must be 49%.

I think it's a bit cheeky of him to suggest that the social makeup of Tower Hamlets is the same across the whole of Greater London just to try and make his point sound better.
Monday 2 March 2009 5.52pm
See http://www.london.gov.uk/gla/publications/factsandfigures/dmag-update-15-2008.pdf for a breakdown of London's population.

The big division in London is between inner London and outer London.

Most inner London boroughs have populations of people in the black and minority ethnic population making up 40-50% of the total population. In outer London BAME groups make up a lesser percentage of the population with places like Kingston, Havering or Bexley having White populations making up 70-80% of people.

As far as I know there is not one borough where the BAME population is more than 50% and in places with high BAME populations there is a mix of ethnicities so White British is still very much the dominant single ethnic group.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: