Please help! Lost pendant - HUGE sentimental value

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 1 March 2009 10.05am
Hi all -

I know this is a very long shot, but I am appealing to the eagle-eyed amongst the forum members. My wife and I lost a pendant which was given to us as a wedding gift and has huge sentimental value for us.

It is approx 4" long by 2" wide. It's in the shape of a letter "C" with a stylised "P" inside. It's silver and wood.

Retracing our steps we were in the following areas yesterday afternoon - did you see anything, or do you know of anyone who might have been there too?

- Hoxton, Old Street to Hoxton Square, Curtain St, Gt Eastern St, Shoreditch High Street, Redchurch St, Rivington St, Rivington Place, Columbia Road, Barnet Street, Bethnal Green, London Bridge, Borough High Street (on the west side down to Brindisa)
- art galleries: White Cube, Brown Gallery, Contemporary Art Projects, Ferreire Projects, Hales Gallery, TEA building, Iniva, Rocket, SDC, Prince of Wales Trust
- buses - 47 (from Tooley St / Druid St to Old Street approx 13.00), 388 (from Bethnal Green Rd to Liverpool St Station, approx 18.00) and 47 (from Liverpool St Station to London Bridge Station approx 18.30)

We've emailed all the galleries, and TfL and I am retracing our steps today.

If you have seen anything like this can you please contact me? Also, if you know of similar forums for the Hoxton area, I'd really appreciate knowing as I will post there too.

Thank you!!
Chris
Sunday 1 March 2009 10.36am
I once lost a bracelet of great sentimental value, and I actually got it back again by posting flyers around the area offering a reward. You might think about putting up some flyers. Good luck! I know how wrenching it is to realize it's gone.

(I actually lost the same bracelet another time, when I was in Venice--had it on when I left the hotel, walked around for hours and hours all over the city, and discovered it was gone after I returned. Turned out someone had found it on the doorstep of the hotel. Yes, I had it welded shut after these two experiences!)
Sunday 1 March 2009 11.35am
Very best of luck in getting it back. Yesterday I found a bunch of keys in the street directly outside an office door. Took them into the pub opposite and the landlord said the guy who owned the office had been in an hour before, saying he'd lost his keys and asking if anyone had brought them in. He'd apparently retraced his steps all over the place, but managed to miss them on the pavement right outside his office. At that point I hadn't yet picked them up, so he'd gone off feeling frantic.

It's often worth asking in pubs or shops but since you can't go in everywhere Laphroaig's suggestion of flyers sounds like it might be a goer.
Sunday 1 March 2009 8.13pm
Hi Laphroaig and aoibhneas -

Thanks for your comments; they provide needed moral support! My wife and I are pretty glum about this.

The flyer idea is a good one. I'd be open to a reward - the pendant doesn't have high intrinsic value but was designed with us in mind (it has our initials, for example and other symbolism particular to us). What's a reasonable reward?

I went back today to retrace my steps. Although it was pleasant weather (rain would have certainly washed the item away) there was a lot heavier foot-fall in some of the areas we went to yesterday (especially Brick Lane and Columbia road) so I'm pretty sure it's been kicked, trodden on or picked up.

A couple of the shops and galleries we went to were kind enough to reply to my email pleas, and the ones that were open helped me look, but no avail.

I see that James has made London-SE1 extremely Google friendly, so I'm posting this link to a map of the general area we were in just in case anyone else might have caught something. http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=51.526261,-0.074244&spn=0.009425,0.043945&z=15

I'll try to get some photos for those flyers!

Thanks again for your help and thoughts.

Chris
Monday 2 March 2009 8.48am
Did you try the police? I'm just thinking if someone found it he might have turned it in. Also, you might try gumtree.com to post a lost/reward notice, though it's probably a long shot.
Monday 2 March 2009 8.53am
Oh, as to reward, I don't know--25? I paid $100 for mine, which was probably more than it was worth (it was silver), but as I said it had great sentimental value. I would have paid more. I wanted to make sure it was worth the finder's time to contact and meet me.
Tuesday 3 March 2009 2.55pm
Laphroaig - good idea! I've posted on Gumtree and Craigslist in hopes of casting the search wider. Also checking eBay... Just in case!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: