A2 Great Dover Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Tuesday 3 March 2009 2.53pm
TFL will be working here for 6 months from 9th march..parking bays suspended re-surfacing work to be carried out from 7pm-5am...footway,lighting the whole kit and caboodle.

Access to properties will be maintained and marshalled (?)

FM Conway are carrying it out if any one is worried about it, i dont know if leaflets were put thru all the doors nearby...oh yes and enhancement works at the junction of trinity street...
Tuesday 3 March 2009 4.46pm
Conways had a white-ish van parked up alongside the telephone exchange opposite the Dover Castle on Saturday, with plans and people to talk you through what they're going to do.

According to the men in the van, the van will be making more appearances, in the same place, over the coming weeks, including appearances in the evening to catch people going home from work.

They're going to do the work in sections, with the aim of not holding up the whole street at once. They're doing the pavements first, and then the roadway. From what I saw and was told, the end result will be very little different from the current walkway. There will be some bits where the walkway is built out into the road a little (looked similar to what happens opposite Spurgeon St, where the walkway juts out just a little into the road).

Hope that helps

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 4 March 2009 9.16am
who controls when work is done on our roads? it was chaos at the weekend trying to get anywhere with Long Lane, Snowsfields, St Thomas' Street and Leathermarket all shut-if Great Dover Street is shut as well it will be a nightmare!!
Wednesday 4 March 2009 10.54am
Road works, street works, utilities, etc should all be coordinated so that you don't end up with traffic chaos/gridlock. it'll be a mixture of Southwark council highways department, Transport for London (if it includes red routes, or bus routes), and possibly the GLA too.

The council should have planned which streets, and footways they are going to resurface, and when, in advance to avoid clashing with planned utilities works (like the Thames water, replacing Victorian water mains).

There will (should) be a NRSWA (New Roads and Street Works Act) department/section in Southwark Council.

as to the timings, works are generally carried out at the least busy / most convenient time, so not during rush hour on a weekday, and when it's quite, so evenings and weekends.

Hope that helps
Wednesday 4 March 2009 11.05am
March is usually a nightmare as it's the last month of the financial year - budgets need to be spent so that they get the same budget allocation next year - plus pipes/tarmac tends to take a battering in winter. Though I think this is a case of improving the public realm :-)
ADT
Monday 6 April 2009 1.56pm
These works are hideously badly planned. I walk along Great Dover Street from Bricklayers Arms up to Trinity Street, and at present the alternating pavement works on either side of the road require me to cross the road four times to do this. It is ridiculous, not to mention unsafe, and quite frustrating because for the most part the new pavement is complete, but whole sections are barricaded off because of a small unfinished piece.
Monday 6 April 2009 7.19pm
Anyone know if this will mean the road blocks near The Roebuck will become permanent?

The council blocked off the road years back, before Congestion charge was invented.... as it was used as a short cut (rat run?)

It should really be opened up so people can get in & out of the area, if someone wants to come into Rockingham or Harper road from Tower bridge, they need to go all the way up to the elephant round about and come back down or all the way down to borough & back down.

Its unfair, they should open it up again, or at least on the weekends when people are shopping, visiting friends/family.... it will no longer be used as a rat run in the evenings as the CC keeps the rats out!
Zoe
Monday 6 April 2009 8.01pm
Oooo, the fun we had at community council about this one...no, I'm afraid it's not going to be opened, it was voted on and it was decided to keep it closed.

I'm hoping they'll put something a bit more attractive there, as those blocks look terrible. As it's now permanent they could put some trees there, make it into a nice green area.
Monday 6 April 2009 9.12pm
I have been informed there will be three trees planted and the area will be paved.
They seem to be doing a good job on Gt Dover St.
Monday 6 April 2009 10.53pm
zoe, when are these council meetings & where are they held? would appreciate the info. Thanks
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: