bermondsey street.....

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 10 March 2002 1.25am
thinking of moving to the vicinity

up and coming or simply overpriced ?

worth the money ?

any recomdations / similar area ?

all views welcome......cheers
Monday 11 March 2002 5.47am
I think the area is great, buy while you can. Not overpriced everything is on your doorstep. The City, various cultural establishments, the local history. No more horrendous journeys commuting, no more shivering on wet and windy platforms, or stuck in traffic jams just to earn an honest (?) crust! Long Lane will be a great investment, Bermondsey Street, The Antique Market on Friday morning is a delight... get there early for bargains....

Friends of mine bought a one bedroomed property in a small block Long Lane, ex-authority, small well maintained block, entry phone, two years ago for 98.(thous.) similar property is now going for 130 plus. but my friends aree staying put, they love the area.
Monday 11 March 2002 9.16am
I love the area. My life has improved greatly since moving here. London's never seemed so attractive. I've been shocked at some of the prices of real estate ... and the agents' attempts to turn it into an 'up-and-coming' area have been sickenly cynical -- but what can one expect?! But it still has the sense of being something of a secret ... and the history, architecture, atmosphere, sense of community and closeness to the river and City and West End are second-to-none. I agree with Jan -- if you can find the right property it should be a good investment. Check out Long Lane.
Monday 11 March 2002 11.48am

Bermondsey Street is fab - really interesting old buildings as well as new developments like the Zandra Rhodes museum and the Delfina Studio. It is quite pricey and getting pricer up there though. I was looking at places around Long Lane, Bermondsey Square, Tower Bridge Rd before shifting my sights slightly further afield to Southwark Park Rd area where I found a lovely flat offering me more for my money (i.e. extra bedroom and terrace.) Generally though, the whole area is on the up so get in there quick!
Wednesday 3 April 2002 10.36pm
How would the residents of Bermondsey Street convince me to buy there instead of the nearby Shad Thames apart from the cheaper prices?
Wednesday 19 June 2002 6.34pm
We have rented a "self catering unit" at Springhalls Wharf, Bermondsey Wall West for later in the summer.

We are Americans...bringing a friend who is ill with it is her great desire to visit. We love the town...and hope she does too!

The pictures provided to us look wonderful. Will we be safe in this area as tourists?

Thank you so very much for your assistance!
Thursday 20 June 2002 7.08am
Hi Mona,

There are not many parts of London where you would be unsafe, and even fewer in this area. Obviously you will not be wearing your Rolex or Cartier Watches! Find the names of some reputable Mini-Cab firms, there is one called Downtown Cars not too far away, I'll check the phone number for you.

There are some wonderful boat trips up / down the Thames, you can travel fairly quickly this way to different areas of interest. There used to a a trip from Westminster to Greenwich, there is an old Tea Clipper there you can board, the Naval Museum, the Colonade. etc. too many to mention....

If you friend is feeling fit enough you can walk up the hill to Greenwich Park to see the view and for a few pence can stand on the Meridian Line and go into the Old Observatory!

I hope you all have a wonderful holiday ........;-)
Thursday 20 June 2002 1.57pm

Thank you so very much for your kind and informative reply! We are very excited about our trip...and the apartment we are renting has a beautiful balcony and view of the Thames. We feel this will be a very special trip for all of us!

We are intersted in doing as much as possible...and your tips are great. Both Michael and I love to do the little things that attract the "locals" in all the places that we visit. Jeanie, our friend, will try to do as many things as she can, but obviously will be resting at times, which will enable us to do some more physically demanding things than she may be capable of.

I am glad to know we will be safe. Of course, we leave all jewelery at home when traveling...especially here in America!

Thank you again! : )

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: