Where to get green waste compost?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 4 March 2009 5.15pm
Hi All,

I have phoned Southwark Council (Environment) as to whether they sell green/municipal waste compost
and they don't.

The compost is to be used as a backfill for the sizeable amount of removed building rubbles.

I was wondering whether any users on here can point me in the right direction in obtaining sizeable
amount of green waste (my homemade compost is not
enough).

Many thanks,

greenfins
Wednesday 4 March 2009 6.52pm
How about St James stables...free manure...take your own bags and shovel...
Wednesday 4 March 2009 7.47pm
Go to the Southwark Council depot at Manor Place,(use the entrance just past the Bhuddist centre). They have bags of green waste compost there.
Wednesday 4 March 2009 8.14pm
In relation to Jan the old one's reply, the horse manure in this case would not be the most appropriate
one to use since in effect the area would become too
acidic. As to Paulse1's suggestion - many thanks- and I would give the place a try.

greenfins
Thursday 5 March 2009 7.26am
Paul is the entrance to manor place depot still Occupation Road? thats great I never knew you could get it from there.
Thursday 5 March 2009 4.15pm
paulse1 wrote:
Go to the Southwark Council depot at Manor Place,(use the entrance just past the Bhuddist centre). They have bags of green waste compost there.

That's really interesting, Paul. Thanks for sharing it. Do you know whether there's a charge for the compost, by any chance?

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 6 March 2009 12.23pm
I had an idea once about collecting peoples garden, and compostable waste, and then turning it into compost and selling it either back to local residents, or selling it on ebay.
Friday 6 March 2009 1.05pm
I really wish you'd do that, JonR! One of my first posts here last summer was asking if there were a place in SE1 where I could "contribute" kitchen waste.
Friday 6 March 2009 1.34pm
How about a wormery, Laphroaig?

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 6 March 2009 2.53pm
There's a wormery on offer on freecycle at the moment so you could even get one free if you are quick.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: