Which pub should I go to in SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 5 March 2009 9.43pm
Hi all!

Im staying with my wife and her parents at the Hilton London Bridge for a couple of days in April. Now I wonder, which Pub do you recommend (close to the Hotel).
This is my second time in London and we are staying for three nights.
Thursday 5 March 2009 10.21pm
The George without a doubt if you haven't been. Yes, I know it is expensive and there are a lot of tourists, but it is London's oldest coaching inn and Charles Dickens (in Little Dorrit if you want to impress the in-laws) wrote about, too. I find it never fails to entertain friends and family if they are over.
Thursday 5 March 2009 10.24pm
Hi,

London Bridge is a great area for pubs.

In the immediate vicinity of your hotel I'd recommend the Market Porter (Stoney Street) and the Barrowboy and Banker (at the end of the bridge); a bit further afield (but still within easy walking distance) is the Royal Oak (Tabard Street) which also does huge portions of good hearty pub food.

If you are a real "beer geek" perhaps try the Rake in Borough Market.

There is loads of info on pubs if you do a search on this forum.
Thursday 5 March 2009 10.24pm
Sorry about "Little Dorrit" being a link, I meant the book, not the pub or cafe here.
Thursday 5 March 2009 10.38pm
I'd agree with these choices, especially the Royal Oak and - for historical reasons - The George.
Friday 6 March 2009 6.46am
dont eat at the George
Friday 6 March 2009 7.09am
I'd recommend The Rose on Snowsfields - a lovely cosy little pub slightly off the beaten track.
jw
Friday 6 March 2009 8.12am
The Anchor just to be able to sit outside and watch the world and the river go by.

Or the Lord Clyde for a traditional boozer
Friday 6 March 2009 8.40am
If you do go to The George, show them dickens' insurance policy framed on the wall at the end of the bar.
Friday 6 March 2009 10.36am
if its sunny there's a great beer garden at The Woolpack on Bermondsey St
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: