Anyone wish they would turn the music down at Thirtysevendegrees?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
PKM
Friday 6 March 2009 11.14am
I was wondering if there any other members who hate the really loud music they play in the gym?

I have asked them on lots of occassions to consider that a lot of users have headphones on, that the music they play is not to everyone's taste, and finally that the acoustics are so awful in there that it all just sounds like a terrible din anyway. Plus it seems pointless to impose music on everyone when we are paying for the privilege of having personal systems attached to the machines.

I wondered if anyone else felt the same and whether you had mentioned it to the management?
Friday 6 March 2009 3.12pm
I have had this problem with gyms I have used. Funny how they seem to assume that this 45 year old white man, will enjoy listening to aggressive misogynistic beats at 120 db?
The best gyms are silent, apart from the sound of the machines.
I would happily spend more to exercise in quiet. Anyone else feel the same?
Friday 6 March 2009 3.14pm
what you need to do is "la-la-lee-la" along to the music very loudly and slightly out of tune.
Friday 6 March 2009 3.54pm
Graham wrote:
Funny how they seem to assume that this 45 year old white man, will enjoy listening to aggressive misogynistic beats

funny how you seem to assume that a black man would enjoy listening to aggressive misogynistic beats
PKM
Friday 6 March 2009 4.43pm
designateddriver wrote:
funny how you seem to assume that a black man would enjoy listening to aggressive misogynistic beats

Please please don't hi-jack this thread. I just want to find out if there are other members who share my view on the loud music and if so to ask them to feedback to the gym.

Thanks
Friday 6 March 2009 5.47pm
PKM. Left 37 Degrees because they never, ever listened to a single suggestion, request or complaint. I doubt that you will get anywhere and suggest that you vote with your feet.

Designated Driver. Why should expressing the view that a white male does not enjoy listening to aggressive misogynisitic music imply that black males do? Sorry just don't get the connection, or how you made the inference.
Friday 6 March 2009 9.05pm
Yes, I wish they would turn the music down. I'm not sure about the guest DJs they have on certain evenings either... too much noise. I just want to exercise and listen to my music unless I'm in spin class when the music has to be of sufficient volume and tempo.
Friday 6 March 2009 9.11pm
I don't want to be accused of "hi-jacking" the thread, but kenhayes, surely you're being disingenuous?

People will make a connection between "a white person does not like aggressive and misogynistic music" and "black people like aggressive and misogynistic music" and, even worse "black people are aggressive and misogynistic"? I did. It's simple induction. That's the way the human mind works.

Why say "white", if you don't mean to exclude black? It may well have been subconscious, but I was just pointing out that we can perpetrate stereotypes/make people feel excluded without thinking.

Happy to go away and leave the thread to people who want to talk about 37 Degrees, but I think it's insipient to let things like this go without challenging them.
Saturday 7 March 2009 5.51pm
Actually if you're going to claim "simple induction", the logic would be that kenhayes was implying that young non-white women are the ones who like it. Not sure what "insipient" means.

PKM, if you do a search on this site you'll find many negative remarks about this gym, so you may want to consider changing.
Saturday 7 March 2009 7.54pm
I left Top Notch for the same reason.

largely female clientele but horrendous loud misogynist rapper music with the "Ho's" shaking their stuff in your face on the videos opposite the warm up machines. As a female I got really fed up with it and complained. The girl said she agreed but they couldn't do anything about it.

The music was not the right tempo for working out and too loud to play your MP3 player over it without hearing loss. I do not know why gyms feel the need to do this.

When they asked why I left I told them. Bet they are still doing it.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: