Presto Pizza, TBR

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 7 March 2009 11.47am
Does anyone know why the excellent Presto Pizza on Tower Bridge Road no longer opens in the evenings? I thought they sold some of the best pizza in SE1 and even after a change of hands their standards were still very high. However, they seem to have become a fairly standard greasy spoon which is open daytimes only. Has anyone tried their fry-ups?
Saturday 7 March 2009 8.12pm
I suspect they're in financial difficulties. They made a big mistake by investing heavily in a refurbishment that made the place a) look much worse than it did before and b) too large for them to fill.

The investment included some new, tacky signage and further confusion as to what the place actually was: a pizzeria or a greasy-spoon?

Possibly as a result of all these things or possibly as a result of none, the place always seems to be fairly empty when I pass it... and that's when it's open, which seems more and more rarely.

The only time I gave Presto my business was in the evenings for pizzas and now I can't even do that.

Speaking of struggling businesses, I do wonder about La Fermata further up TBR. Another confused and confusing place which always seems to be empty. How on earth does it survive with so few customers?
Sunday 8 March 2009 1.03am
La Fermata seemed to be open this morning when I passed (Saturday)- at least there were tables and chairs outside - first time for ages.
Sunday 8 March 2009 8.20am
Sad news, Presto did decent pizzas and the service was always friendly, hopefully they will be up and running again soon.
Tuesday 10 March 2009 9.06pm
Is there a strange northbound phenomena here.

Tasty Snacks on Grange Road now does Pizza.

Confused.
yas
Saturday 14 March 2009 10.44pm
I agree. Presto used to be great! And I love the fact that their database records your phone number so when you call for an order, you don't have to bother giving them your address all over again! (If you order a lot of pizza like I do...) Sadly, last time i tried to order a pizza, I was turned away and told they don't switch on the clay oven til the evening as it is expensive. So, since then I haven't called back...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: