Food at the Royal Oak

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Monday 26 January 2004 12.06pm
Called in the Oak after the Simon Hughes meeting and I've only just noticed the menu. Has anybody eaten there?
Monday 26 January 2004 2.31pm
Yes, several times (every Tuesday for months). At the risk of making my "local" even more crowded, I've got to say that the food is great.

Plain food, well cooked, at cheap prices.

Steak and Kidney Pudding like nowhere else, good specials (partridge has been v good lately, also halibut), great beer and friendly people.

I'd thoroughly recommend this place (any night except Tuesdays - it's difficult enough getting a table as it is ;-)). If you have any doubts about portion control, take a look at the size of the chef.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Monday 26 January 2004 2.35pm
Thank you Ivanhoe (you're too bad!) I shall certainly eat there, I have drank there on many occasions, the cider is fab. I must admit you would have been hard pressed to swing a cat in there on Friday.
Monday 26 January 2004 2.48pm
Ahhhhhhh. Another cider drinker. Takes me back to my schooldays in Hereford..............(wonderful world, beautiful people)

If you like the Stowford Press in the Oak, have you tried the (can't remember who makes it) cider in the pub just on the Sth side of Tower Bridge (can't remember name - but it's an outpost of a countryside brewer like Adnams)?

Monday 26 January 2004 2.56pm
No, but I'll give it a go. When I was young, we used to get out of our gourds on GL (we used to say it stood for God's Liquor). Ah Hereford........haven't been there for years.
Monday 26 January 2004 4.31pm
My friends and I also used to drink GL, down by the Wye. By fourteen our palette's had usually developed to allow a move on from Medium Sweet to Extra Dry. Thanks for the Cidery tip off.
Monday 26 January 2004 4.36pm
I moved from GL to Bulmer's Traditional, which I used to drink in the Butcher's at Clearwell, I swear you needed a fork to get it out of the glass! I had a pint of GL last year for old times sake, it gave me indegestion.
Monday 26 January 2004 5.48pm
Blimey. Plenty of cider drinkers around (and ex-Herefordians as well).

I followed you Alan...GL to Traditional must be a teen rite of passage.

SE1 Cider-crawl anyone??

Tuesday 27 January 2004 8.59am
That's a good idea, I know another Forum user who'd be up for that.
Tuesday 27 January 2004 9.10am
could someone tell me where this pub is?

I'm rather partial to steak and ked pud! (but I promise I won't go in on Tuesday!)

Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: