25% rise in garage rent?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
hmeah Monday 9 March 2009 10.58pm
Does anyone hire a garage from Southwark council? they have just increased the price by 25%. surely this is daylight robbery!
urbanite Tuesday 10 March 2009 11.09am
It certainly is.....tell them to poke it and look elsewhere.
dee dee Tuesday 10 March 2009 12.40pm
the council have targeted parking charges all round as a way to re coup money as they are keeping the council tax down.
urbanite Tuesday 10 March 2009 4.58pm
Then they aren't keeping costs down....just re-allocating where they collect income from.

Why is politics (local and central) such an underhand profession?
dee dee Tuesday 10 March 2009 5.22pm
urbanite wrote:
Then they aren't keeping costs down....just re-allocating where they collect income from.
Why is politics (local and central) such an underhand profession?

but then they can say look at us we have kept the council tax rise to zero and hope no one spots that they are hiking prices elsewhere and no doubt cutting services to cover what they would have charged!
urbanite Wednesday 11 March 2009 10.56am
Exactly...it's all so underhand.

Was reading a review of taxes yesterday somewhere....apparently taxation has gone up by 50% over the last 10 years...but no-one really noticed apparently because it was on lots of little things like insurance and travel and the economy was doing OK and we were all getting pay rises so it slipped past most people's radar.

Now look....argggg.
Coffee Wednesday 11 March 2009 1.13pm
On the other hand why should non car owning residents subsidize garage rents through their council tax for those lucky enough to not only have a car but also have a garage to rent. If you dont want you garage at the extra rent hmeah, i'll have it:)
beetroot Wednesday 11 March 2009 2.16pm
Coffee wrote:
On the other hand why should non car owning residents subsidize garage rents through their council tax for those lucky enough to not only have a car but also have a garage to rent. If you dont want you garage at the extra rent hmeah, i'll have it:)
I agree with your point but its still unfair to make large sudden changes. People should be given the chance to make adjustments if they need to.
drog Wednesday 11 March 2009 2.41pm
Coffee wrote:

Not sure how you arrived at non car owning residents subsidising garage owners. Looks to me the other way around.
urbanite Wednesday 11 March 2009 2.45pm
Think most car owners...having bought the car and paid car tax....are subsidising everyone else Coffee...perhaps a little more consideration for those who can afford a car but not to play sugar daddy to the black hole of council finances.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions