Window cleaning - recommendations for up to 7/8 storeys

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
emmab Tuesday 10 March 2009 2.00pm
We've got a flat in a Victorian school block, similar to several other properties in SE1 such as the Paragon. Our managing agent seems incapable of finding a window cleaning company able to do the job. They have tried hoses, brushes on poles and various devices which just seem to scratch the windows and distribute dirty water.

The building is four storeys high but as each floor is double height, this is probably more like the equivalent of 7-8 storeys. We think a company with a cherry picker would be the best option but the managing agent either can't or won't find one.

Does anyone live in one of these buildings and manage to have their windows cleaned adequately and if so, by whom? Any suggestions welcome! Thanks.

Advertisement

jonathon Tuesday 10 March 2009 2.49pm
7/8 storeys is getting beyond the scope of a cherry picker

this really is in the hands of your managing agent - perhaps the school conversion was done properly and these issues were addressed. correctly they should hold a maintenance stratgy manual. perpahs a lanyard system has already been installed on the roof for an abseiler?
emmab Tuesday 10 March 2009 3.44pm
Jonathon, thanks - it's been in the hands of our managing agents for three years so we're getting a bit exasperated! I suspect there is no lanyard system but this is something I can go back and check, especially now you've given me the right terminology! Thank you.
SE11_lurker Tuesday 10 March 2009 5.25pm
Our landlord has a similar problem. Although we have metal rope wires affixed to the roof, they won't employ an abseiler (apparently) due to cost for our 4 storey building. The large rods with brushes on the end just smear the glass and look dreadful.

Perhaps the blocks could team up and our management companies could hire one abseiler for the day!
jw Thursday 12 March 2009 10.14pm
Don't suppose your management company is White Druce and Brown by any chance?
groves Saturday 21 March 2009 11.18pm
emma

saw your posting,I own a window cleaning company we carryout contracts acroos London abseil & waterfed poles,give me a ring on 07802 224252 msrk,would be interested.
Philpotts24 Wednesday 25 March 2009 12.40am
jw wrote:
Don't suppose your management company is White Druce and Brown by any chance?

ROFL! [How's your Air-Con? :p]

We get the rear of the building cleaned,not particularly well, through the above-mentioned, but not the front. Barmy. Thus, filthy windows in City Walk.
hampshire Thursday 9 April 2009 11.24am
hi i clean blocks of flats and apartments around london specializing in high windows we have a cherry picker that we use. We are a small family run company that prides our self on the quality of our work please call for a quote on 07894138359 or 01622 671633,regards Andrew.
James Hatts Thursday 9 April 2009 11.27am
hampshire - I'd be more impressed if you hadn't posted in another thread pretending to be a satisfied customer of Andrew/Seeclear.

You might pride yourself on the quality of your work but that doesn't stop you lying to prospective customers, it seems.

Editor of the London SE1 website and SE1 Direct newsletter
emmab Thursday 9 April 2009 5.39pm
More good detective work James! There have been two more unsuccessful attempts to clean the windows so as they say on The Apprentice, "The search continues....."

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions