Pelican crossing times

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 11 March 2009 6.23pm
I sincerely hope Boris has a re-think on crossing times allowing traffic to go even quicker...why is the 20 mile an hour policy in place through parts of Southwark?

If he tries to cross New kent road, near the old driscoll house it's only 6/7 seconds already, then you cant see the signs clearly anyway.

I think the timings should be extended not shortened.
Wednesday 11 March 2009 6.33pm
Indeed - more power to pedestrians!

On the subject - some pedestrian crossing points in London have buttons that are not connected to anything - expect lighting up the "Wait" light - pressing the button has no effect on the traffic light sequence!

I also bash the "Call" button several times when waiting for a lift. I know that after the first press I am wasting my time - but I just can't stop myself from poking the button and hissing "cumm onnnn!" through clenched teeth.
Wednesday 11 March 2009 9.40pm
Do you know what drives me crackers waiting for the lift Boss .S.B.? is when you are standing for five minutes and someone comes up and ask you if you have pressed the button to call the lift.I wish I could be rude and reply that I was just checking the right shade of paint was used ...instead I am a wally and say yes!
Thursday 12 March 2009 8.20am
So many cars run the red light anyway that even with the time we have now it can be impossible to cross.
Thursday 12 March 2009 8.00pm
Yep - good point.

Also, the light sequence is worked out/timed for an average car accelerating at an average pace. That gives an average pedestrian enough time to get across the road when the green man just changes to red.

However, motorbikes have much higher power to weight ratio and can be upon you in a flash because of their superior acceleration.

How many times have I almost got hit by a motorbike crossing the lights just over TB by Minories.
Friday 13 March 2009 12.49am
While I can understand initial reticence with the mayor's proposal, it can work.
I have been in more than one city around the world where this scheme operates, but the most recent time was last year in Savannah Ga.
A few seconds after you pushed the "cross" button on the traffic lights the light would change to red, the traffic would stop and the pedestrian cross now sign would flash, counting down 10,9,8,7 and so on.
If you got to the light and it was down to 4,3,2, then you would wait for the traffic to flow through the intersection and press the button again, then cross when the countdown began again.
Monday 16 March 2009 9.37am
Boss St Bloke wrote:
Yep - good point.
Also, the light sequence is worked out/timed for an average car accelerating at an average pace. That gives an average pedestrian enough time to get across the road when the green man just changes to red.

However, motorbikes have much higher power to weight ratio and can be upon you in a flash because of their superior acceleration.

How many times have I almost got hit by a motorbike crossing the lights just over TB by Minories.

Must pick at that a bit, I'm afraid. As a pedestrian, I've never come across a set of ped. lights where I couldn't comfortably cross in the time given by the green man and the flashing-green man.

And as a m'bike rider, I've never seen a set of lights where there's not a clear pause between each of the following phases: (1) ped.lights going to flashing green, (2) then to red, then (3) vehicle lights going to green.

For a pedestrian to be still on the road when I've been given a green light generally means, in my experience, that they have started to cross the road when it's flashing green or when it's red.

Two sides to every story, and all that...

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 16 March 2009 9.46am
I would never dream of trying to beat the lights , even with the middle island in new kent road with a stick or a child with you it takes longer than the allocated time to reach it. It must be your young long legs Ivanhoe that enable you speed across!
Monday 16 March 2009 9.48am
that's true, Ivanhoe, but I've often started crossing when the green man starts flashing because cars just kept coming through their red light. I know its sounds crazy but what if we were to employ people in uniforms to stop people braking the law? No I know it'll never happen...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: