Snowsfields

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 12 March 2009 12.33am
My father was brought up in Guinness Trust buidings in Snowsfields, Bermondsey

At the end of the war the flats were destroyed by a V1 or V2. I can remember my dad taking me to see them and there were just 2 walls standing with the floors all hanging down. Presumably the staircase was still there as some men got in and brought down my dad's piano from the top floor.

Does anyone know if there are photographs on line of this, please?

The amazing thing is that my gran would never go down the shelters, but that night someone persuaded her to go. We have a letter written in 1941 fom an aunt saying that Graddad had begged his wife to leave the bombing and go to Oxford with him but she refused.

David
Thursday 12 March 2009 8.43am
David

my mum and all her family lived on the Guinness trust at Snowsfields during the war and afterwards- I will ask her if she has any photos.
Thursday 12 March 2009 8.54am
I only found out last week about the bombed block. I live in the smaller of the remaining three, opposite the little row of shops (now cafes and a health bar of all things!). Do you know exactly where it was, David. I've looked at those old poverty maps and it looks like it was really close to the school, on the space that is now the school's garden.

In the 50's there was a fire in one of the big blocks and a lot of people died. They removed the top two floors that were in the pitched roof (is there a proper name for that). They also added fire escapes, and doors all over the buildings. These have now gone but despite very good brick matching you can just make out the old doorways.
Thursday 12 March 2009 9.05am
Beetroot

my mum's family lived on the top floor in the roof part which i believe she said they used to refer to as the lofts?
Thursday 12 March 2009 9.46am
really hope your mum has photos.
I must get down to the local history library when it comes back.
Thursday 12 March 2009 10.11pm
I think the blocks were on the Snowsfields school sports field - now a garden of some sort. The local studies library has pre war aerial photographs of the area which show two blocks in a line along Snowsfields opposite the shops. They look very similar in style to the Guiness buildings, although the photo is not that good qaulity.
Friday 13 March 2009 8.41am
beetroot wrote:
I only found out last week about the bombed block. I live in the smaller of the remaining three, opposite the little row of shops (now cafes and a health bar of all things!). Do you know exactly where it was, David. I've looked at those old poverty maps and it looks like it was really close to the school, on the space that is now the school's garden.
In the 50's there was a fire in one of the big blocks and a lot of people died. They removed the top two floors that were in the pitched roof (is there a proper name for that). They also added fire escapes, and doors all over the buildings. These have now gone but despite very good brick matching you can just make out the old doorways.

I don't know where the were. In the 1911 census they were living in 27a Guinness Bldg, Snowsfields. There were 10 people, g'dad g'ma, 4 boys and 3 girls and g'dad's brother, living in the 4 rooms which included the kitchen. I can't find the 1901 but they had only 2 rooms and a number of the children, plus one listed as adopted who was actually the daughter of a stepbrother. There were 14 children of whom only 10 survived to adulthood as far as I can trace. Charles who was on the 1911 died when he was run over by a horse and cart, and had previously nearly drowned when he fell into the Thames with his sister. Must have been a bit of a tearaway.
Thursday 19 March 2009 8.52am
mum is going to dig out her old box of photos and have a look but she suspects most will be of family members in the square.

she does remember the doodle bug going off and that one chap who had been in bed was left standing on a small peace of floor still attached to the walls yelling for people to get him down-she did tell me his name but i can't remeber-her memory is obviously better than mine!

She did say it was block B that bore the brunt which was by the school but not sure whether that would be next to the school or where the garden is.
Friday 22 March 2013 4.48am
I am trying to gather some information about my family who lived in The Guiness Buildings in Snowsfield Bermondsey.
They lived at 179 BLOCK F and my great grandfathers name was James William Freeman, my great grandmothers name was Edith May Freeman ( nee Jackson ) and my grandfather was Stanley William Freeman. I have my grandfathers NATSOPA print union application form from 1933 with this address. They were bombed out during the war and the family moved to the Peabody Buildings in Rodney Road.

Jim Freeman

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: