Young family history - Bermondsey

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 14 March 2009 6.47am
Hello all
I am new to this website and not sure if this is an appropriate request. I am looking for descendants of John & Mary Young or Thomas & Mary Young. Family lived in Bermondsey for many, many years from 1860 onwards, Irish roots. Other names on family tree are McCarthy, Donovan, Nix,Wood and Mollett.

I'm visiting UK next month and would love to meet anyone with a connection to my family.

Sunday 15 March 2009 2.01am
Hi, and welcome to the forum. Have you tried the census returns? uk census
This should give you a starting point.
Monday 16 March 2009 10.17am
Thank you for your message. I probably didn't make myself clear. I am not looking to trace family history (I have census returns, BMD certificates etc) but hope to find someone living in the Bermondsey area who reads this forum and may be related to me in some way. Cousin, first cousin once removed, second cousin etc. My father was one of a very large family but settled in Australia in 1956 and some family ties were lost. One of my aunt's (Nell Mollett) lived in Oliver House on the Dickens Estate.

Monday 16 March 2009 11.30am
Agatha, Mollett is a very unusual name perhaps some one here will remember it..
Tuesday 17 March 2009 3.21pm
Nell Mollett lived in the same block as me Oliver House
she had two daughters and one son. Joe.daughters Marie
I cannot remember the younger one
Marie married a chap called ? Kraus.
I married and moved away so I don't know where they went
Wednesday 18 March 2009 9.36am
Thank you Esther. How exciting to hear from someone who knows of my Aunt Nell. She was 17 years older than my Dad and brought him up when their mother died when he was 10. Her other daughter was Patsy.

On a visit to London a few years ago I discovered that the George pub (in George Row??) next to Dickens Estate was boarded up ready for demolition. I remembered it from early childhood when my parents used to visit Nell.

The world is getting smaller by the minute!!

p.s. Thanks also to Jan for her reply
Thursday 19 March 2009 9.28pm
Yes quite right the George has been pulled down in George Row.I now remember it was Pat.
Nell and friends used to enjoy a few Guinesses in there
why it closed I don't know it was very popular.
Saturday 21 March 2009 3.42am

I'm living in the Snowsfield area, however, I'm a wee bit young (28).

My surename is Mellett, and not Mollett, and i'm from Ireland. From what i have researched, Mellett / diff variations, have come from the west of Ireland. There have been a few Mellett's (diff variations) have come over from Ireland in the 1960;s.

My question to you is, i already presume there's an Irish connection, however, when did you think that your family move to Snowsfield?

Saturday 21 March 2009 4.05am
Hi Colin
Thanks for your interest in the name Mollett.

My aunt (Nell Young) married a Joseph Mollett (in 1920) but I am not searching the Mollett family history and don't know anything about their roots. My great grandfathers John Young & John McCarthy were both born in Ireland but I don't know where. They lived in Rotherhithe/ Bermondsey from 1860 onwards and I am hoping to connect with any of their descendants.

Saturday 28 March 2009 2.35pm
Just to let you know there was families Young & McCarthy in Dockhead.
Happy hunting.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: