Moorings next to St Saviour's Dock

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 14 March 2009 6.13pm
All starting to get a bit unsightly now? Is it me or have these barges multiplied in the last year, they are really beginning to encroach on the river and block a nice view, I don't mind a few of them but 5 barges outside my window full of junk is getting to be a bit of an eyesore.
Sunday 15 March 2009 2.31pm
Now you've gone and done it... You mean the Downings Road Moarings? After some significant wrangling with Southwark Council, mostly in connection with their total disregard for the local planning laws, they do finally seem to have secured their future.

They fought a much smarter game than the local residents, presenting themselves as poverty stricken, eco warriors, that were being oppressed by the wealthy owners of the nearby new flats who wanted a sterile picture perfect Thames to look at.... blah, blah. Of course the reality is that the mooring is actually owned by a moderately successful architect called Nicholas Lacey. Be thankfully that they're not still stripping the paint off old barges, the noise was horrific.

Apparently it's reminiscent of a garden square! http://www.opensquares.org/detail/GardenBarge.html
Sunday 15 March 2009 6.12pm
Ah I see, I've been in the area on and off for the past 11 years and the moorings have always been there, so can't really complain. It's just such a shame that they can't keep it tidy around the edges. The actual barges with trees on don't look too bad and quite alright at night with the lights on.

I suppose I better make no more of it, because a) nothing will happen as the council is too scared to interfere with these sort of communities, less the PC brigade charge out b) I am guessing the sort of 'eco warrior' on there generally don't take crticism of their projects too well. Oh well as long as they have a nice aspect!
Sunday 15 March 2009 6.51pm
Hi LonDan

To add balance and an alternative view to your post - I humbly offer the following:

I have lived near St Saviour's Dock for 13 years and have not noticed the problems you mention.

In fact, the area is a lot neater than the run down area it was 10 years ago.

Just to add some flesh to this, so I can understand, let's look at your points, which are in bold

All starting to get a bit unsightly now?
Which bits exactly - and what is unsightly?

Is it me or have these barges multiplied in the last year
Maybe it is you - have you kept a record of the exact number of barges from last year so that you can give us and objective quantifiable increase figure?

they are really beginning to encroach on the river and block a nice view
Sorry to be thick - how does a barge "encroach on the river" - don't they bob and float gracefully on the water?? - and which view is blocked, exactly?

I don't mind a few of them but 5 barges outside my window full of junk is getting to be a bit of an eyesore
Full of what junk? old cars? dead rats? rotten food?? - you say you "don't mind a few of them" - how many is that? - if there were just 4 you would whine about it??

You see Dan - I live, work and walk around that area and all I see is a beautiful river, gloriously transformed over the last 10 years - and long may it continue!
Sunday 15 March 2009 7.14pm
Oh no don't start all this again,
It Looks nicer every time I pass, the moere boats the better.
Sunday 15 March 2009 7.17pm
You old salt dog!
Sunday 15 March 2009 8.04pm
LonDan wrote:
Ah I see, I've been in the area on and off for the past 11 years and the moorings have always been there, so can't really complain. It's just such a shame that they can't keep it tidy around the edges. The actual barges with trees on don't look too bad and quite alright at night with the lights on.
I suppose I better make no more of it, because a) nothing will happen as the council is too scared to interfere with these sort of communities, less the PC brigade charge out b) I am guessing the sort of 'eco warrior' on there generally don't take crticism of their projects too well. Oh well as long as they have a nice aspect!

a) As I understand it the council lost at the Public Enquiry... so don't expect anything from them.

b) You've every right to ask them to tidy it up, one would hope and assume that they'd like to be good neighbours.

Incidentally, I've lived here for more than 8 years and there were very few barges for many, many, years.

I believe this had something to do with Berkeley Homes making a deal with Mr Lacey when they first developed Providence Sq.

Once that deal had expired he understandably sought to gain a return on his ownership of the mooring. Of late the number of barges has been fairly stable and they have also been moved further away from the shore... So from my perspective I dont personally have a big problem with them.

Their occasional concerts or parties on the floating stage can however represent something of a noise nuisance in the summer.
Monday 16 March 2009 7.46am
So I have put the cat amongst the pigeons.
Boss st bloke, from the tone of your post I suspect you think that I would rather not have any of these boats within my view which is not the case if you read my posts, or maybe you just mistook the tone.

To answer your points in order:
1) The 4 barges, towards centre of river, that don't appear to be dwellings but full of a random assortment of items, eg steel funnel, oil drum, random speed boat. Also 1 that looks abondoned with fire damage on it. I also note there is an empty barge next to the river bank resembling a floating skip.

2) Haven't bothered to keep a record, hence the general question to the community. Don't think I ever would either.

3) By encroach I meant that they had moved towards teh centre of the river ,which I had assumed was due to multiplication. However, this may be because they have been moved further from the bank, which I glean from other respondants. By blocking a nice view I mean 4 barges that aren't as well looked after as the main dwellings 'encroaching' in to the river and therefore visibly detracting from an otherwise lovely view.

4) Probably covered above. From your general comment about whining , I note that you may have already formed a pre concieved view about me, fair enough.

So, the point I was/am trying to make was quite a simple one that I now feel is getting a little over complicated. I think we/I have established that the number of barges hasn't grown. If I were to ask them to make the 'storage' barges a little easier on the eye , maybe they would?!! Perhaps they have spoilt us with this city garden concept on their other ones!
Monday 16 March 2009 8.07am
I think the congenial approach is better served all round. I used to know a couple that lived on one of the barges and can assure you they are perfectly sane individuals, happy to listen to constructive criticism and respond accordingly. Meet your neighbours you may like them.
Monday 20 April 2009 3.37pm
Hi all, I live on one of the boats so can offer some insight/access. Tolstoy's right, many of us cycle and recycle but we're not all Swampies. We are keen to be responsible members of the local community and are completely open to constructive comment.

Re the size of the mooring/number of boats. Most of the boats were moved further out from shore a couple of years ago to comply with the new planning rules. The moorings were all but emptied in 2006 to allow this, but we are now almost back to full complement. There probably are one or two more than last year, but only filling in gaps - not expanding the overall size of the mooring.

The unrestored barges in the NW corner of the moorings belong to the landlord and are I'm sure due to be renovated in due course - but I agree they're a bit scruffy in the meantime. I'd also like to see them tidier; I'll mention it to the manager.

The one big one towards the shore - the 'floating skip' - is actually the dry dock. It's got a small workboat in it at the moment but you will occasionally see one of the big residential barges in there for minor work. It is a bit ungainly but has to be on the inside because it needs to be on the riverbed at low tide.

Hope this helps and, as I say, I'll ask about the 'junk' barges.

Al
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: