Where to buy binoculars

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 17 March 2009 2.40pm
A recent trip to Rainham Marshes (which is well worth a visit btw) has inspired me to obtain some new binoculars. They had a vast selection at the visitor centre there, with a great view to try them out on, but it seems frivolous to make a return visit so soon just to buy stuff, so I wondered if there was anywhere local that might have a decent selection?

I guess Decathlon will have some low end stuff - but I ideally would like to find somewhere with several brands and a good range of quality. Preferably somewhere that will let you step outside and try them out. Any ideas? Do camera shops still stock binoculars or is it all digital devices these days?
Tuesday 17 March 2009 4.15pm
There's a telescope shop on Farringdon Road which might do them. Also another telescope shop just off Baker St. Do Jessops still exist? (in which case you could google their stock to see if they sell them).

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 17 March 2009 5.15pm
Go to RG Lewis in Southampton Row. They are expert in Leica but have some Japanese ones too. Nice people too, but you sometimes have to wait for the Press photoagraphers to choose their new kit.

No connection etc, except I have spent a fortune there.
Tuesday 17 March 2009 7.48pm
Ivanhoe is referring to this place off Baker street

Wednesday 18 March 2009 9.18am
Yes, thanks for that nigel. Can never remember the names of places. Appears they do sell binoc's: http://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/Catalogue/Binoculars.html

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 18 March 2009 1.04pm
Excellent suggestions, thanks folks.
Wednesday 18 March 2009 10.49pm
Jessops branches vary a lot in range, although the one on New Oxford Street is good.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: