The Blue Fin Building- style??? (need to find post-modernist building)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 17 March 2009 6.03pm
Hi all :-)

Can anyone tell me what style of architecture the Blue Fin Building is?

I need to find a post-modernistic styled building and take a photograph of it for a course I'm doing (contextual studies)

I'm totally clueless of architecture so excuse me for being knowledgeable on this topic.

my thinking that it's more modern than post modern.

my course wants me to find a post-modernist and modernist style building and I've got The Design Museum as modernist so it's just the post modernist that I'm stuck on - plus I'm trying to use photographs that I've already taken previously (I don't have time to go out and take any new stuff - but I might have to pop out tomorrow and try if I don't have anything relevant!?) I live in south London hence why I'm trying to find buildings near the south bank as its fairly easy for me to visit.

Thanks for your help
:-)

eggy
Tuesday 17 March 2009 6.26pm
Tuesday 17 March 2009 6.41pm
Embankment Place - a Terry Farrell creation constructed over Charing Cross Station. Best photographed from the South bank side of the Thames near the National Theatre [which I would describe as Brutalist....!]
Tuesday 17 March 2009 6.43pm
beetroot wrote:

thanks.
looks very interesting!

made me think of that ship shaped building near Hammersmith - I can't remember what it's called now (I've only lived in London for 14 years and seen so many interesting buildings but I never remember names!)
Tuesday 17 March 2009 6.45pm
janefs wrote:
Embankment Place - a Terry Farrell creation constructed over Charing Cross Station. Best photographed from the South bank side of the Thames near the National Theatre [which I would describe as Brutalist....!]

ah yes, my tutor did pick that one out but I didn't want to use that one - so not to copy what he says.
one of my favorite areas... walking across the bridge and down the south bank along the thames.

I walked it many time but I cannot remember what was there before.. ie: before city hall etc!

thanks for your help
:-)
Tuesday 17 March 2009 6.53pm
eggs wrote:

made me think of that ship shaped building near Hammersmith - I can't remember what it's called now (I've only lived in London for 14 years and seen so many interesting buildings but I never remember names!)

The Ark is the one you're thinking of. Very strange interior and not for those who suffer from vertigo....such as me. perhaps the Lloyds building in the City would fit the post-modern bill?
Tuesday 17 March 2009 6.58pm
janefs wrote:
eggs wrote:

made me think of that ship shaped building near Hammersmith - I can't remember what it's called now (I've only lived in London for 14 years and seen so many interesting buildings but I never remember names!)

The Ark is the one you're thinking of. Very strange interior and not for those who suffer from vertigo....such as me. perhaps the Lloyds building in the City would fit the post-modern bill?

yes, I was wondering about the Lloyds building but there's a lot of photographs of that one... wanted another that wasn't so obvious - I'm awkward!!! ;-)

the Ark... yes that's the one.
I've only seen it from a distance but might have to have a google and find more about it.
Thanks
:-)
Tuesday 17 March 2009 7.06pm
ok, I give up. If you want a bit of lateral thinking and to spark a debate, why not use the reconstructed Globe Theatre as your example.....?
Tuesday 17 March 2009 7.13pm
janefs wrote:
ok, I give up. If you want a bit of lateral thinking and to spark a debate, why not use the reconstructed Globe Theatre as your example.....?

lol, told you I was awkward!!

I think I'll go and visit the No. 1 Poultry building - it's an interesting building.

appreciate your input!
Tuesday 17 March 2009 7.14pm
Zandra Rhodes building would fit the bill, though in a rather lazy fashion, on the ever so wonderful Bermondsey St with its hint of the Memphis style. Why not have a coffee further down the road whilst you're there?

The Blue Fin building doesn't warrant a mention in any architectural style, as it is little more than a cheap box with shutters attached.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: