Parking in C2 residents' area

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 18 March 2009 10.02pm
Hi all,

Do any of you park in C2 area (around great suffolk street)?

If so, how are you managing? It's tough enough anyway, but a couple of months ago, they blocked off a whole load of spaces near the Gladstone pub for no discernable reason, and I've just got home from work to find they have suspended parking on Great Suffolk Street from tomorrow to the 5th May to replace water mains.

I totally understand that the victorian mains need to be replaced, but given parking in the C2 area is already reduced, what are we all going to do? Can we legally park in another area whilst the work is being done?

Any advice or info would really be much appreciated!!
Thursday 19 March 2009 12.18am
just having the same problem in area F - you are basically ****... council don't want to know!
Thursday 19 March 2009 8.45am
There was a similar thread a recently discussing the same problems around Bermondsey street-it seems to be a problem all round-the council issue more tickets than there are bays and it is pot luck if you can get parked-now they are going to make you pay a great deal more for not being able to park to boot!!

And yes in a ideal world none of us would have cars as we live in central London but many people need cars for work etc and local buses re not very reliable.
Thursday 19 March 2009 5.22pm
Thanks to you both. Yes, I did read that other post. My point was (possibly rather optimistically) that since well over 50% of residents' parking is temporarily unavailable, can we legally park anywhere else?

I take the point that the parking permit doesn't guarantee you a place, but whilst half of it is out of action, do we temporarily have a right to park in neighbouring areas?

I suspect the answer is no, but given my only alternative is to leave my car in a free zone in Zone 2 until mid-May, I thought it was worth asking.

Thursday 19 March 2009 7.48pm
Sorry for the repeated posting - but just wanted to update you...

Got home from work to find a letter from Southwark Council saying that for the duration of the roadworks, we can park on the pay and display section of Great Suffolk Street!

I'll file this one under "Southwark Council doing the right thing"!!

PS/ Does anybody know what they are doing on Lant St? That road has been blocked for ages...
Friday 20 March 2009 9.01am
at least Southwark have been sensible for once!

Isn't Lant Street shut for good (partly) as Charles Dickens have taken over that part of the road to extend their playground?
Friday 20 March 2009 9.13am
Yes - see this thread re Lant Street

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 20 March 2009 2.52pm
Thank you Dee Dee and James - am pleased to learn that the road closure has a purpose!
Have a good weekend all.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: