Exciting news - Streetview is up and running in London

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 19 March 2009 1.16pm
Google have finally rolled out Streetview for the UK (at least for major cities), which means most of the roads in London (the main ones) have now been photographed.

I've post a few Streetview snapshots on my blog of a few random SE11 sites http://southeasteleven.blogspot.com/2009/03/very-exciting-google-streetview-is-live.html, but I'm sure James or one of the regulars here would like to view the photos of Elephant and its surrounds in SE1!

There are some fun shots, and I'm sure we'll be exploring this new feature fully in the days to come.

Can anybody spot themselves or their friends?
Thursday 19 March 2009 2.12pm
We've all been checking out or homes/work adresses on this here today.....yes 1 of the smokers got caught outside lighting up lol.

Is it a good thing or a bad thing...already the debate here has started.
Thursday 19 March 2009 2.57pm
Homeletter wrote:
Google have finally rolled out Streetview for the UK
I am rather unclear just why this is 'fantastic' and such 'exciting news' - could you please explain?
Thursday 19 March 2009 5.10pm
Well, I guess it's just a point of view, but I think this is why it's exciting:

1. It's now possible to "visit" London (or a number of other UK cities) even if you're not actually in the city. I've been exploring parts of France and Spain, and considering the different places I'd like to visit. It's possible for those of us who can't afford to travel (or are worried about air miles) to virtually "see" lots of different places. Also, if you can travel, you can explore the places you'd like to see before you get there.

2. It's possible to get and give a better directions as you can show people where you live/work/want to meet up before you meet. Mapping has moved from 2D to 3D.

3. If you're looking to rent or buy a property, you can take a "virtual" walk down the road, without relying on estate agents particulars.

4. I receive a lot of local planning requests which I like to make submissions for (for or against, depending). I haven't got time to leave the office and check the location for every site, but this gives me a better idea about what various parties might want to change.

5. It's fun.
Thursday 19 March 2009 5.53pm
I think it's great, particularly for checking out new neighbourhoods for renting a flat, moving house, etc.

I've noticed not all streets are covered just yet. Here's hoping they fill in the blanks soon!

Thursday 19 March 2009 6.55pm
Homeletter wrote:
Well, I guess it's just a point of view, but I think this is why it's exciting:
1. It's now possible to "visit" London (or a number of other UK cities) even if you're not actually in the city. I've been exploring parts of France and Spain, and considering the different places I'd like to visit. It's possible for those of us who can't afford to travel (or are worried about air miles) to virtually "see" lots of different places. Also, if you can travel, you can explore the places you'd like to see before you get there.

2. It's possible to get and give a better directions as you can show people where you live/work/want to meet up before you meet. Mapping has moved from 2D to 3D.

3. If you're looking to rent or buy a property, you can take a "virtual" walk down the road, without relying on estate agents particulars.

4. I receive a lot of local planning requests which I like to make submissions for (for or against, depending). I haven't got time to leave the office and check the location for every site, but this gives me a better idea about what various parties might want to change.

5. It's fun.

Well, you're obviously 'on message'. However, you missed a sixth reason - it's another distraction from the chore of having to do real work at the office, if you can find time in between facebook, twitter, google earth, my space, youtube, se1 forum, etc...
Thursday 19 March 2009 7.48pm
Don't forget the Seety site - they beat Google by months. Have just been comparing Google/Seety around my area. Google has better quality images - but Seety seem to have more streets covered.
Zoe
Thursday 19 March 2009 9.48pm
I've been looking at the areas I used to live in, and the council estate where I lived in Glasgow has been completely 'regenerated', which in this case is knocked down and ugly newbuilds put up. I felt quite sad thinking about the tenement I lived in being knocked down. I suppose this is how the Heygate residents will feel.
mac
Friday 20 March 2009 9.56am
I've used this before when I was planning a trip to the US. I found it very useful to check out hotel locations and get a good idea of the different neighbourhoods.
Sunday 22 March 2009 3.02pm
Google still need to sort out their geography, apparently I am in Camberwell.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: