Fire last night in New Kent Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 23 March 2009 6.31am
Why, I ask myself, when we all (including me) remark oon the interminable sirens around the E&C roundabout, and this must have been a festival of sirens, did I sleep through this event which was going on a stone's throw from my terrace? Hope no one got hurt. Was it arson? Fires in derelict buildings often are.

Related news & features

Monday 23 March 2009 11.07am
I saw it as a reflection in the London College of Communications and dutifully called the fire brigade. Couldn't see the fire directly, but could see flames rising past the top of the flats behind MCH. Katia and I were thinking of knocking on your door so that we could get a better view, but thought better of it.
Monday 23 March 2009 12.56pm
I did hear the sirens and the helicopter at 1am, but thought nothing of it since there was a time when the late sunday night helicopter had it's usual appearance...and the sirens are not unusual either!
Monday 23 March 2009 1.01pm
We had bendy buses & regular buses down Falmouth & Trinity Street following the diversion due to the fire. I felt for the bendy bus driver trying to reverse down Trinity St with a bus load of passengers.
Monday 23 March 2009 8.52pm
thelondonpaper has a dramatic pic:

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 23 March 2009 10.16pm
Blimey!I'm even sorrier that I missed it. And the view from my terrace would have been spectacular...better than firework night.
Tuesday 24 March 2009 1.44am
Heard the sirens, but nothing unusual in that.
Tuesday 24 March 2009 11.50am
Thanks to Colin Turnbull for this image captured at about midnight:

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: