Empty space corner of St George's Circus

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 24 March 2009 4.56pm
I have noticed that the huge advertising boards on the small piece of land at the corner of Blackfriars Road and Borough Road have recently been removed. Does anyone know what is happening there? I think it used to be a parking lot but it looks like scrap land. I only noticed because now we can see the beautiful nursery building of South Bank University. If only they were removing more of these eyesores...
Wednesday 25 March 2009 12.54am
noticed the same as well.....it may be just that southwark are cracking down on advertising hoardings that do not have the correct license atm?
Wednesday 25 March 2009 9.34am
Wouldn't it be nice to have a little park there? Wont happen of course...
Wednesday 25 March 2009 4.52pm
The "beautiful nursery building of South Bank University" used to be Borough Road public library. Southwark Council refurbished it, made it wheelchair accessible, then handed it over to SBU! The plot of land you refer to has been vacant for years. Why doesn't Southwark Council rebuild Library St Housing Office on it, which is due to be demolished for a housing development.
Wednesday 25 March 2009 5.17pm
paulineb wrote:
Why doesn't Southwark Council rebuild Library St Housing Office on it, which is due to be demolished for a housing development.

Perhaps because they don't own the land!
Wednesday 25 March 2009 5.21pm
paulineb wrote:
The plot of land you refer to has been vacant for years.

True. I have lived in Library Street for more than 15 years and that corner plot been vacant since then.

paulineb wrote:
Why doesn't Southwark Council rebuild Library St Housing Office on it, which is due to be demolished for a housing development.

Indeed. Or why don't they build the 6 unnecessary town houses on it instead of on the Diversity Garden? Or the flats that are going to be built on the footprint of the Housing Office, or indeed why not just turn it into the new Diversity Garden?

But then, any of those suggestions make perfect sense - a concept Southwark Council appear to be sadly lacking.
Wednesday 25 March 2009 11.49pm
WilliamN wrote:
Wouldn't it be nice to have a little park there? Wont happen of course...

IIRC Until about 1990 at least part of it was landscaped and had some sort of sign saying that it was "temporary public space".

Presumably BT then realised what the site was potentially worth, and hastily fenced the site and put up the adverts in the hope that people would forget that it had ever been open space.
Tuesday 31 March 2009 2.46pm
The site is part of the University estate. About 2 years ago SBC published a planning guidance document for the St Georges Circus area. They want the buildings around the circus to be curl round and focus onto the obelisk. On this basis, there is no chance of the site being used as a public open space, even if this was financially possible.
Tuesday 31 March 2009 3.41pm
argent wrote:
They want the buildings around the circus to be curl round and focus onto the obelisk. On this basis, there is no chance of the site being used as a public open space, even if this was financially possible.

Umm, yes. As I understand it, for an area to be called a circus, buildings fronting onto it have to be curved otherwise in this case, it would have to change its name to St George's Square, or something.

But that it just for buildings - surely anything that surrounds a circus and faces inwards could be curved, such as a fence, lawn, flower bed, benches, path ... And they'd be cheaper...
Tuesday 31 March 2009 9.58pm
why not put it up for urban food growing while its vacant - Boris is keen on that
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: