King and Queen Pub 105 Newington Butts

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 25 March 2009 2.44pm
Hi, Does anyone know where i can obatain a photograph, or has anyone got a photograph of the King & Queen public House which stood at 105 Newington Butts,it was pulled down after the war, for redevelopment of the area, i require this for the family history project, as an aunt lived there in the 1900s

Thanks
Sunday 31 January 2010 8.32am
Hi David,
My Grandparents were licencees of 'The Old King and Queen' in 1881. I have been trying to dig up information on the pub but have been unsucessful as yet.
If you have anything that might be of interest could you let me have it via
pamtie168@gmail.com

Cheers Pam Chambers
Tuesday 17 November 2015 3.34pm
Here's an advert for the pub in 1874

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 17 November 2015 5.39pm
I've just searched for a photo of The King & Queen at the Local Studies Library. Sadly, there are no individual images. However there are several longer distance photos of Newington Butts. The street frontage seems to contain a number of pubs, although their names are indistinct to the naked eye. It may be possible to locate an image by studying the relevant photos with a magnifying glass, or photographing and enlarging them on a computer.

The Post Office Directory for 1932 and the large scale maps together indicate the pub was opposite St Mary's Churchyard, next to Clock Place. As you walked south, the pub was a few doors after another pub, which in 1932 was called The George Tavern.
Friday 4 December 2015 7.00pm
I have posted pictures of my family outside the King and Queen Pub taken around 1926 or so. They are on this site:http://deadpubs.co.uk/LondonPubs/Newington/KingQueen.shtml

Unfortunately, I do not have a picture of the actual pub although I have talked to a cousin who remembers visiting there. Not sure of the time frame but she is 72 now and I suspect she saw the pub in the 1950's. I suspect it was torn down around that time.

I would love to get more information about the pub. My mother and her siblings (6 children in all) were all born above the pub.
Saturday 5 December 2015 11.08am
Trish thank you for that link to dead pubs...I have been absorbed searching all the old pub names, found fascinating link to armed robbery in The Virginia in great Dover street, a policeman was wrestling the burglar and a Mrs.Wright was battering the burglar who had a gun! Quite sad when reading that previously the villain when coming out of prison he could not get honest work as police would tell people that he was ex offender!
Saturday 5 December 2015 1.51pm
Pretty scary when you see a list of all the pubs that have now gone and been turned into flats - quite sad as well
Saturday 5 December 2015 7.51pm
This one we lost very recently, could see it from my window. Now another glass box with luxury flats :(

http://pubshistory.com/LondonPubs/SouthwarkChristchurch/OldKingsHead.shtml
Sunday 6 December 2015 1.18pm
Remember when that was called the Kings Head

Very soon sadly - the whole of Blackfriars Road will be yuppy flats

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: