Irish Shop in SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 25 March 2009 5.25pm
Is there a shop in S.E.1 where I can get hold of Irish food such Clonakilty Bacon, Black Puddings, Kimberley biscuits, not forgetting Tayto crisps etc for my parents. They live in Kent and heard that there was an Irish Shop in Dulwich, I wonder if there is somewhere more close to S.E.1.
Wednesday 25 March 2009 5.39pm
Tell them forget about junk food like Tayto crisps and Kimberly biscuits, Neals Yard in the Borough Market sells some of the best cheese from Ireland and the UK.

The bacon from the Ginger Pig is excellent too.
Wednesday 25 March 2009 5.50pm
They are in their eighties so they deserve a little treat now and again as they can no longer get home, my Dad cooked the Pig's Trotters that I got from The Ginger Pig, but I've noticed my Mum has got quite thin lately. Irish cheese from Neal's Yard is a good idea though.
Wednesday 25 March 2009 5.58pm
Try and get her some brawn Nomad, that goes down easy, my mum used to love that.
Wednesday 25 March 2009 6.19pm
There's a butchers in East St. which has Jacobs and Bolands biscuits and things like Flahavans oats. I think it does black and white pudding as well, and also Irish bacon. Can't remember if they do pigs' trotters but there's another butcher on the Walworth Rd. that does. Dunno about Tayto. Waitrose does some Irish cheeses as well as brack and ok brown soda bread.
Wednesday 25 March 2009 6.32pm
You can order Taytos online but you may need a minimum quantity to justify it. Also make sure you order the proper Taytos and not the fake, Northern Irish ones ;) (they are different up north). The supermarket in Peckham used to have a little "Irish" section with red lemonade and yr sauce and mikados and stuff but I havent been there in a while. Quite a few buses (40, 176) go to Lordship Lane where the Irish shop you mention is. It doesnt take too long from Elephant and Castle.
Wednesday 25 March 2009 11.36pm
It's not in SE1, but it's close enough for me as an SE1-dweller to shop there: Asda on Old Kent Road has a small Irish section. I sometimes stop by to pick up some of the barm brack they stock, which is delicious (can't remember the brand name). Not sure if they have Taytos et al. but it's worth a go.
Thursday 26 March 2009 12.17am
Bel Ludovic wrote:
It's not in SE1
Asda not in SE1? It certainly is. The SE1/SE15 boundary is very odd round there and goes south of OKR to take in Asda, B&Q etc.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 26 March 2009 1.36am
Taytos do the Tesco own brand crisps. When I go to visit my folks in Ireland I go a bit mad with all the red lemonade and stuff like that - my auntie does a great Ulster fry. I bought some black pudding a few months back and it didn't taste the same as it used to.
Zoe
Thursday 26 March 2009 7.59am
I wanted to recommend Asda on OKR, but didn't know it was SE1 (which is a bit bizarre, as I'd say that was Peckham), I shall not fear mentioning it in future!!

Asda has some good little sections, hubby likes to buy from the caribbean section as they often have American brands, they have a good Polish section, and even quite a lot of Turkish food, and I like the Irish section as it seems to sell the Irish version of foods I remember as a child, particularly biscuits (biscuits being my main memory from chilhood...)

I wonder if the B&Q is also in SE1?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: