Computer problems

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 30 March 2009 12.37pm
I'm currently having problems with my home PC. I'm reliably informed by BT's support service that it's my ethernet adapter which seems to be malfunctioning, preventing me from connecting to the internet. Having no idea what an ethernet adapter is, let alone how to fix it, does anyone know of a reliable computer engineer in the area that might be able to help ?
Monday 30 March 2009 5.56pm
An ethernet adaptor is likely to be a tiny box that connects you via the telephone socket to your computer. Something along these lines:

http://www.icamview.co.uk/orderonline/images/PoE.IN.jpg

If it's faulty just buy a new one. The one above is seventy pounds but I'm sure they can be bought for cheaper than this.
Monday 30 March 2009 7.00pm
Sounds like a bum steer from BT as an ethernet adaptor is a term used for a usb device for computers without an ethernet port,you have to have a pretty old motherboard for it not to have one.The potential problems you have are as follows

1)the ethernet port in the back of your machine is
broken
2)your modem router is broken
3)you a have defective ethernet cable going from the
back of your machine into the modem/router
4)you have a defective telephone cable going from the
back of the modem router in to the adsl filter
5)you have a defective adsl filter.

there are two computer shops on the old kent road which I have found to be acceptable.Modern computers can't remember the other name
Monday 30 March 2009 8.15pm
Common problems:

1, Are you using a DSL filter (about 5). It's essential. It plugs into the BT phone socket and gives you a phone outlet and an ethernet outlet for the cable to your computer. You need a DSL filter on all your phone sockets even if just connected to a phone.

or

2.Unscrew the front of your BT wall-socket (the main BT socket if there's more than 1) and you should see a test socket. plug the ethernet cable into that. That bypasses any faulty screening from the phone signal.
Monday 30 March 2009 9.56pm
markadams99 wrote:

2.Unscrew the front of your BT wall-socket (the main BT socket if there's more than 1) and you should see a test socket. plug the ethernet cable into that. That bypasses any faulty screening from the phone signal.

Ie plug the DSL filter into the test socket and the ethernet cable into the filter.
Tuesday 31 March 2009 12.38pm
Thanks everyone for all your advice. That's really helpful of you all. I've printed it off and will read properly at home. When I was getting the info from BT I was in the process of switching from a modem to BT's home hub (wi fi). I've now tested a laptop and that seems to work with the home hub perfectly well so it must be a problem with my desktop.
Thursday 14 May 2009 5.31pm
Hi

I'm looking for help with a different type of problem. I opened Vista to find that it didn't want to load my personal profile and whilst I've managed to get in and can now receive emails and use the internet, all my histories and documents have disappeared deep in the system somewhere. Can anyone recommend someone that will be able to help me get my life back ?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: