Anti-capitalism demo

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 15
Wednesday 1 April 2009 7.21pm
Did anyone see any evidence of this spilling over into SE1, besides a few businesses and offices taking precautionary measures?
Wednesday 1 April 2009 8.16pm
A few more middle-class uni "rebels" hanging around and a couple of would-be urban warriors with scarves around their faces. Other than that, business as normal.
Water-cannon the lot of 'em!
Wednesday 1 April 2009 10.08pm
For a first post, that's a touch provocative.
Wednesday 1 April 2009 10.41pm
Sorry, it's my age. The older I get, the more these rag-tag collection of disenchanted posh kids, dole scroungers and foreign anarchists wind me up. No doubt their final blow against the global situation will involve trashing a couple of branches of Starbucks tonight.
Thursday 2 April 2009 12.26am
longlaner wrote:
For a first post, that's a touch provocative.
For a 1395th post that's a touch patronising. Not everyone in SE1 subscribes to The Standard Model of student politics.
Thursday 2 April 2009 7.43am
I remember working in the city when the other anti cap.march caused havoc. Lunchtime I wanted to go outside the office and join the merry throng, it was a bit like a carnival a few cans and I would have been with them!

The bit I thought was funny was the youngsters who were protesting about the rainforest being destroyed by the the 'capitalist swines' - generally eco warriors were all in Mcdonalds lunchtime.
and at 7.30pm was not very happy having to walk all the way home...

I was wondering the reason behind royal bank of scotland not having their windows boarded up? was it so police could identify the window smashers? and how easy those windows smashed...a bank robbers dream!
Thursday 2 April 2009 12.11pm
From what I heard, this was a branch of RBS that has been closed for the last 2 years....
Thursday 2 April 2009 4.10pm
Thank god for the French and Germans is all I can say, Gordon Brawn and Barrck Obama looked like they just want to get the greed train back on the tracks so it can continue as before.
Zoe
Thursday 2 April 2009 6.33pm
Nanu Nanu wrote:
Sorry, it's my age. The older I get, the more these rag-tag collection of disenchanted posh kids, dole scroungers and foreign anarchists wind me up. No doubt their final blow against the global situation will involve trashing a couple of branches of Starbucks tonight.

Well I'm not posh, unemployed, foreign or an anarchist, there's nothing wrong with being any of these things, and I support the right of all these groups to protest. Democracy can be so inconvenient, maybe it's time we abolished it :-)
Thursday 2 April 2009 8.18pm
Like Zoe, I'm not posh, unemployed, foreign or an anarchist either but I'd have felt very tempted to throw a brick or two in the RBS windows. After all, they're our windows now and we'll have to pay for them to be mended anyway.

Nanu Nanu, you seem to hate harmless hippies but not the bankers and our leaders who are currently transferring the nation's collective wealth from the populace to a small band of the super rich.

Oh, and well said, mickysalt.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 15

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: