Brazilian currency

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 2 April 2009 1.07pm
hi,

pls can someone tell me where in london i can buy brazilain real, just a small amt for a holiday?

thanks

mb
Thursday 2 April 2009 1.29pm
TTT bureau de change always good in my experience (plentiful stocks of most currencies, and good rates though there's a small fixed commission charge) There is one on the corner of Knightsbridge and Sloane St.

http://www.ttt.co.uk/retail/

Or M&S in Covent Garden has a Travelex in it, no fixed commission.

Not sure about SE1 locations though.
Thursday 2 April 2009 2.19pm
Any Post Office. You will need to order it a couple of days in advance. They don't charge commission but their exchange rates do tend to be a little weighted in their favour so it's swings and roundabouts. But they are reliable.
gaz
Monday 6 April 2009 2.31pm
Use an ATM at the airport when you arrive...
Boa viagem!
Monday 6 April 2009 3.21pm
DON'T use an ATM the moment you arrive at the airport:

- your bank will charge you a fee
- your bank will charge you a worse exchange rate
- the atm may charge you a fee (because it's in the airport)
- locals might see you taking out money, and you may become a target
- if it's a CC the rate for cash withdraw and/or foreign money is (a lot) higher

My advice is either get local cash before you go, or take Travellers Cheques, or US dollar.

get a bank account where they don't charge you for taking out money (no matter where you are), and just transfer money to it when you need it on holiday - Nationwide used to do this (not sure if they still do though).

either take enough money for the whole trip (if it's short), or enough to last a few days/ a week, till you work out where it best to get more, bank, PO, TQ, tourist office, bureau d'Exchange, etc.
Monday 6 April 2009 4.14pm
JonR wrote:
DON'T use an ATM the moment you arrive at the airport:
- your bank will charge you a fee
- your bank will charge you a worse exchange rate
- the atm may charge you a fee (because it's in the airport)
- locals might see you taking out money, and you may become a target
- if it's a CC the rate for cash withdraw and/or foreign money is (a lot) higher

My advice is either get local cash before you go, or take Travellers Cheques, or US dollar.

get a bank account where they don't charge you for taking out money (no matter where you are), and just transfer money to it when you need it on holiday - Nationwide used to do this (not sure if they still do though).

either take enough money for the whole trip (if it's short), or enough to last a few days/ a week, till you work out where it best to get more, bank, PO, TQ, tourist office, bureau d'Exchange, etc.

Horses for courses Jon, I have not used Travellers Cheques since the 80's and I would not dream of buying foreign currency in the UK. The US $ is fine if you have a US $ account, but if you have to buy them in the UK then change them abroad you get hit with two lots of commission. You say your bank may charge a worse rate, worse than what? Tourist offices and bureaux de change will give you tourist rate, an ATM gives you bank rate. Personally I get off the plane and look for an ATM. I have a Nationwide debit card for which I am charged zero on foreign withdrawals. This will change in May, (Europe will still be 0 % though.) I'll still use it though, because that is what suits me.
Semi-seriously, if you feel that just by using a foreign ATM you may become a target for the local bad guys maybe you should consider vacationing in Margate.
Foreign travel is for fun, not for fretting about becoming a crime statistic or wondering how to save a nickel.
Monday 6 April 2009 7.28pm
Despite their much-hyped announcement a couple of years ago of the range of "exotic" currencies that they could provide, the Post Office doesn't actually sell Brazilian Real to travellers (although they appear to be willing to buy them back).

Having said that, the Post Office's recommendation to take US Dollars and Dollar travellers cheques is not unreasonable, and the Post Office's rates on these are still pretty good.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: