Possible new cladding for Guy's Tower

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Friday 3 April 2009 7.58pm
Plans for a possible recladding of the neighbouring Guys Hospital
(regularly voted London's ugliest building) -

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/supertek/DSC02016.jpg

Related news & features

Friday 3 April 2009 10.07pm
I'd leave Guy's Tower alone. Form follows function; it's a filing cabinet to die in. A prettied up exterior misses the point.
Saturday 4 April 2009 2.46pm
Guys is hideous and next to the Shard will look ridiculous. the cladding, if it is ever done, will be very welcome
Saturday 4 April 2009 3.05pm
I don't agree that it is hideous.

It's big, it's concrete and yes, it's grey but I personally feel its shear bulk makes for an impressive visual impact. As it is I think it would make for a wonderful contrast of materials and textures alongside The Shard. Clean it by all means but don't try making it look new, that cladding looks dated after about five minutes of looking at it!
Saturday 4 April 2009 7.50pm
wjfox2004 wrote:
Plans for a possible recladding of the neighbouring Guys Hospital
(regularly voted London's ugliest building) -

Could you point me to those regular polls? Or is that just hyperbole?

I'd leave it as it is. Photoshopping the skyline is a fun thing to do on a computer, but it rarely works out.
Saturday 4 April 2009 9.38pm
Guy's tower is ugly, but I imagine neither the Hospital Trust nor the medical and dental schools will have the money needed to do much about it.

I am working in Guy's tower and I am looking forward to the new beautiful neighbour.
Saturday 4 April 2009 11.52pm
Add me to the list who'd leave it alone. Either it's the ugliest building in London and should be preserved for that reason or/and it's a fine piece of concrete brutalism which will contrast nicely with the glassy Shard. The effete cladding in the picture looks awful.
TAK
Sunday 5 April 2009 12.44am
markadams99 wrote:
Add me to the list who'd leave it alone. Either it's the ugliest building in London and should be preserved for that reason or/and it's a fine piece of concrete brutalism which will contrast nicely with the glassy Shard. The effete cladding in the picture looks awful.

I fully agree - that cladding looks worse than the current building in my opinion.

Usually also in those top lists of the most hated buildings in London are Centre Point and the Barbican towers.
However, both usually also feature in the most loved building lists - simultaneously....so I guess with some buildings opinions are really 50/50 either you hate them or you love them.
Mind you, I much prefer a building with such strong character and completely divided opinions to a bland boring building no-one loves nor hates.....

I also think part of the London skyline is it's diverse mix of styles, periods, 'ugly' and 'beautifu'l buildings (all subjective of course). That's what makes it interesting, gives it context and makes it feel like a real place rather than some artificial Disney Land.
I also like to think the mix of architecture, styles and periods is somehow a reflection on the extreme diversity of people we have living in London. And precisely this diversity is one of the reason I love London so much....
TAK
Sunday 5 April 2009 12.54am
btw. there's a charity abseil event from Guy's in June:
http://www.events.myastheniagravis.co.uk/GuysAbseil.html
Sunday 5 April 2009 10.48am
markadams99 wrote:
I'd leave Guy's Tower alone. Form follows function; it's a filing cabinet to die in. A prettied up exterior misses the point.

Ahem. I think rather more south Londoners recall it as a place to give birth in - Guy's Tower used to house maternity services and the Evelina Children's Hospital.

So now that most wards have moved out of the building, the issue is how do you retrofit a 40 year old structure - with glazing and a/c services designed before the oil shock - as a building mostly for academic use without it looking even uglier?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: