Shad Thames Nightclub (Bar La Vista, Tower Bridge)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Monday 6 April 2009 5.41pm
An application to open a nightclub open until 04:30am weekdays, 05:30am weekends at The Don restaurant Tower Bridge has appeared on the Southwark Licensing website;

http://licensing.southwarksites.com/LicPremisesAppliedDetails.asp?systemkey=829431

- objections possible up to 27th April.
Monday 6 April 2009 5.50pm
According to their website it's "the destination of choice for club-goers, A-list celebrities and the social jet set"

http://www.barlavista.com/

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 6 April 2009 7.50pm
god I hate the pretentious word-waffle some places use to describe themselves.

They don't look so A-List perched on top of The Don!
Tuesday 7 April 2009 8.30am
their website looks like a parody. I feel sorry for anyone living near that if it happens.
Tuesday 7 April 2009 8.58pm
What defines a 'sophisticated audience' in a nightclub exactly?
Tuesday 7 April 2009 10.06pm
This is ridiculous. Surely this can't be approved?
Tuesday 7 April 2009 10.20pm
@ beetroot - I live very near it and thanks for the thought; and "if it happens" (pah, I wish it were that simple)... unfortunately it already is, with its 2am licence. That said, I assume it's 2am as that's when they stop 'most' times, although we've known it to be 3 or 4am on occasion

@ James Hatts - is the STRA doing anything about this? Surely it merits more action than the Lovage 'campaign'. At least, as far as I'm aware the Lovage sign didn't keep families up until the early hours with banging house and rave tunes accompanied by strobes and lasers blasting out of the clubs windows (onto Horselydown Lane)

I heard that the council warned them again approx 2 weeks ago that the music could be heard loudly outside the back on H'down Lane. Apparently they were meant to lose their licence if this happened. Looks like they didn't

Ironically, at the time, I assumed that maybe, just perhaps, the old Council had done good! Told them off and put them off. But maybe it's the cynic in me then that is now thinking the reason they've been quiet over the last 2 weeks is purely because of this planning application

I'll certainly be putting an objection in. It's ridiculous to allow this. Please STRA, let me know you're onto this?
Wednesday 8 April 2009 10.00am
ok ok ok, so I was a bit freaked out when I read about this new planning application last night and perhaps a tad sensationalist when I said the lasers were streaking the sky like blitz lights after bad bombers - the lasers aren't the problem

Speaking objectively, and calmly, I still maintain it's a bad idea. It's a residential area and even though there is no entrance as such on Horselydown Lane (you have to enter on Tower Bridge) the back of the club is on H Lane nevertheless

This causes two problems. Firstly, the sound. What I said about hearing loud music into the early hours is true, the noise limiters that are meant to be installed (see the planning app) certainly do not appear to be working. What is a noise limiter anyway, is it just agreeing not to turn the volume up to 11?

Secondly, whilst there is no entrance in H Lane, the lane and surrounding area has now become a busy car pool for people who are going to the club. Convenient for them but not so much so for residents listening to all the happy clubbers getting their acts together and saying all their final farewells before revving off in their sporty and not so sporty numbers in the early hours

2am is bad, really bad. 5am would be just ridiculous. What do STRA think about the situation, are they going to do anything about it?
Wednesday 8 April 2009 2.04pm
Hey LocalLad,

What's all the fuss about? A nightclub sounds groovey to me! Fancy you and me hitting the dance floor, downing a beer or two and shakin our stuff! Hittin the deck until 5am ain't nothin to me - what d'ya say?
Wednesday 8 April 2009 7.24pm
...I say that after you have finished dancing at 5am you will probably want to get some sleep - and you would probably be upset if some thoughtless morons kept you awake.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: