Restaurants around the Festival Hall

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 29 January 2004 2.44pm
I'm looking for some inspiration on where to take the Olds for dinner when they come to visit next week. They are going to some Performance at the Royal Festival Hall, so it needs to be close and finished by 7pm ish. Can anybody help with suggestions?
Thursday 29 January 2004 2.49pm
Whitebait,The Cut, S.E.1. young and old all welcome!

jan
Thursday 29 January 2004 2.52pm
What about hte OXO Tower?
or there's Pizza Express behind the RFH (not so inspiring I know)

steer clear of that Italian place under the arches along from where the guy used to sell the dodgy travel books, I mean the one you can see from Waterloo steps.

Been there about five times with friends or when I was working at LWT - really rude staff, music too loud and food nothing to write home about

there's a place along towards the RFH glass front on two floors - never been there though... looks nice
Thursday 29 January 2004 2.52pm
The Archduke - in the arches under the railway line. Food is excellent and it's a nice bar where they play jazz as well.

Or pop across the river to theatre land where every restaurant will cater for you if you're happy to be out by 7pm.
Thursday 29 January 2004 2.53pm
Yes Jan - we love Whitebait

or the Anchor opposite Tas on the Cut

making a name for itself amongst the Guardian readers
Thursday 29 January 2004 2.55pm
The Anchor is great - and if you get in early enough you'll hve no problem getting a table either.
Thursday 29 January 2004 3.40pm
I also recommend the Anchor - it happens to be my favourite restaurant at the moment - low key and not snobbish about brilliant cooking
Thursday 29 January 2004 5.24pm

There is the people's palace which is actually in the RFH (pricey but v. handy), on the Cut I would recommends LiveBait and Taz and just round the corner is Baltic - which does great food and even better cocktails - although it is busy on Friday.

On the 2nd floor of the OXO is another restaurant (can't remember the name which is nicer than the top floor and another great cocktail bar.
Thursday 29 January 2004 5.26pm
It's Livebait (as red bus says), not Whitebait.

And the place in the Oxo Tower that red bus mentioned (River Walk) closed in October.
Thursday 29 January 2004 5.32pm
Unfortunately, I think that the Anchor and Hope has just been shortlisted in the Evening Standard Pub of the Year awards - expect crowds over the next few weeks!

"Formerly Bar Citrus, the Anchor & Hope has returned to traditional pub roots by providing an almost workaday atmosphere but with a seriously good food and ale offering - the excellent Charles Wells beers are on tap. A small, open kitchen relentlessly churns out highbrow English fare, meaning the Anchor & Hope really is a cut above its neighbouring restaurants."

Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: