Cycling - Tower Bridge Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Zoe
Thursday 9 April 2009 7.00pm
Can someone help me out about the bike route up TBR?

I came up from OKR, under the overpass, along the bike route, (past an entrance to the underground tunnel) and then the bike route just seemed to stop.

There's one of those round blue signs for bike/pedestrain usage, but it's just a normal pavement.

I'm sure it's meant to lead to a back to way to Grange Road, and cycle route 22, but I end up having to walk, and then going an odd way though the estate there. Should I just ride on the pavement, and which turning should I take?

I was hoping someone would know!!
Wednesday 15 April 2009 5.33pm
How about using Page's Walk to get to Grange Road instead of TBR?

Well worth ordering the free TfL cycle maps from this page:
https://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/roadusers/cycling/cycleroutes/

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Zoe
Wednesday 15 April 2009 9.52pm
That's a very good idea, there's a bus lane on the road that runs upto New Kent Road as well. I hadn't thought to try it that way.

I discovered the little path that runs behind the sorting office today, I was very excited!

What do you do when using the back route around elephant? When you reach OKR the crossing is a bit further down (outside Albert Barnes), but you need to use it to get to the bike lane on the pavement on the otherside. Are we meant to just get off and walk, which is what I do? It's like someone forgot to finish the route.
Wednesday 15 April 2009 11.23pm
Do not cycle on the pavement! Not unless you're 6 years old and your mummy's walking behind you.

Yes, the cycle routes are a bit crap, but riding your bike on the pavement is dangerous, both to yourself and pedestrians. If you're fit enough to ride a bike, I assume you're fit enough to walk your bike to the next bit of the cycle route. I'm not getting at you, Zoe, I'm just hoping that the cyclist who nearly crashed into me on the pavement and then swore at me might be reading this.
Thursday 16 April 2009 4.25am
I sympathise Auntie Pat - a lot of cyclists behave like muppets. But in their defence (and as a cyclist) there are indeed poorly designated cycle paths on the OKR which are indeed so frequented by pedestrians that they are almost unusable safely by either group. There are pelican lights with signs for cycles with no cycle paths at either end! There are road systems with no access for bicycles whatsoever, which create bicycle rat runs down one way streets (for example for cyclists coming from the Southwark side of Kennington Park Road wanting to go into the West End). The cyclist in London has been ignored in all major transport developments.

When I spoke to a planner on the Vauxhall Cross gyratory a few years back I asked her what cyclists thought about it. She was very frank. "We've stopped talking to the cyclists. We know they hate it."

TfL just don't follow through when it comes to cycling. They are all about drivers. Even though at the E&C only 17% of journeys through the junction are made by car. With the recent deaths of cyclists we are now beginning to see how dangerous it has been to encourage cycling on the one hand (by introducing the congestion charge for example) and to ignore it in most practical planning decisions.
Thursday 16 April 2009 6.45am
"We've stopped talking to the cyclists. We know they hate it."

That's not really the right attitude to take for ensuring a greater use of cycling and safety for all is it? I often wonder whether planning departments ever actually have any cyclists in their number they can turn to for advice. On the ground, judging from the random nature of certain cycle lane layouts it always looks like a last minute scribble for 'something'.
Zoe
Thursday 16 April 2009 6.52am
As someone who's just started cycling (I've always been a driver) I've been amazed at how badly cycle routes are treated. There is clearly no planning put into them, they are an afer thought. If we want people to cycle then money has to be spent on them.

I try not to cycle on paths, but it's a challenge, and I can see why people do. For myself, I generally welcome the chance to have a rest as I'm not that fit, but even wheeling my bike past people is difficult, there just isn't enough room.

There is also a problem with bike lanes not being clearly marked. People shout at me on Union Street when I cycle on the bike lane there, as they think it's pavement. One man, after trying to hit a cyclist with his umbrella who came up fast behind him, then swung it at me (much to my outrage, as you can imagine!!). A bit more effort by the council would help, it only needs a few more signs to stop a lot of aggro and potential danger to pedestrians
Thursday 16 April 2009 7.35am
Yes, that Union Street path on the pavement is very confusing for pedestrians, I think.
Thursday 16 April 2009 8.12am
Can we draw a line under further discussion of cycling on the pavement? It's a subject that's been done to death here over the years and is incredibly tedious.

Last time I cycled along Union Street the cycle markings had not been reinstated after the Thames Water works which meant that it was even less obvious than usual to pedestrians that the space is supposed to be shared.

My irritation is that when turning left from Borough High Street to Union Street you can often find that the pedestrian lights on Union Street are against you and there's no safe place to pause till the lights change.

Zoe - the crossing on New Kent Road near Meadow Row really ought to be a toucan crossing that cyclists can legitimately use, but it's technically a pelican crossing.

Though as a cycle route is signed across the crossing (and via short sections of pavement either side) most people use it like a toucan crossing and it seems to work OK.

When cycling from Blackfriars Road to Grange Road/Southwark Park Road I tend to use Great Suffolk Street, Trinity Street, Great Dover Street, Law Street, Wild's Rents and Decima Street which is a very direct route and not too busy with cars.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Zoe
Thursday 16 April 2009 8.44am
Thanks for clarifying about the crossing at OKR James, I wondered if I was taking a wrong turning. I shall write to the council to ask them to change it (they probably won't, but they certainly won't if we don't ask, and sadly we have had a clear demonstration recently of why that route needs to be improved).

You are a mine of knowledge on cycle routes, perhaps you should have a cycle route section on the site, and people can suggest good routes, our small contribution to being green!!

Also, if someone could suggest how I stop my hair getting messy under the helmet I'd be pretty grateful, I'm finding it a challenge.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: