Waterloo East - new entrance

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Zoe
Thursday 9 April 2009 7.05pm
Network Rail want to have a new entrance for Waterloo East on Greet Street (which is the street that runs off The Cut, between the Young Vic and the Costcutter the street drinkers always sit outside.

The residents in Tait House aren't very happy, as the entrance will almost be in their estate.

An alternative could be to use the Hatfields side, across from Isabella Street (EV, Thai Silk street).

What do people think?
Friday 10 April 2009 11.00am
Too complicated for me...cant quite orientate myself. Where am I coming from/to? I read the article and am still no wiser.
Tuesday 14 April 2009 6.07pm
There's a very easy and beneficial answer. Ever since they built the new link there has been a very good path frustratingly gated off and preventing what would otherwise be a pleasant walk through from the EV restaurant area towards Waterloo. If the path was open it would not matter which end had the new entrance. Without the path it becomes a major walk around the block.
Tuesday 14 April 2009 6.13pm
awesome

i made the mistake of following my usual routine this morning and popping through Southwark Tube. travelcard had expired and i was charged a payasyougo rate :(

it should be like Paddington and allow transfers for free

moan over
Zoe
Tuesday 14 April 2009 8.08pm
Hi Simon, do you mean the path through the estate? It was closed off because residents didn't want people walking through the estate. However, a path could be created through the back of Hatfields next to the railway bridge, it's not very big but would allow access, and would be more convenient. We're hoping that TFL will meet and discuss it further.

Jonathan, I couldn't agree more, it's a complete ripoff, why can't people just be let through. If you go on the tube you wouldn't be able to get off the other end, as there's a barrier, so it doesn't matter if people go through. We raised this with Val Shawcross, maybe other people could write as well, it seems to be working for the number 1/78!!
Wednesday 15 April 2009 12.17am
It looks to me like you could easily open a path on either side - but it is the broad footpath with a gate across it that I meant. The other side of the tracks doesn't look like a route where nice people would want to walk. The path and gate are on

Street View http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=%22waterloo+east%22+london&sll=43.46812,-80.522232&sspn=0.14402,0.21389&g=%22waterloo+east%22&ie=UTF8&ll=51.504188,-0.106602&spn=0,359.986632&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=51.504083,-0.106608&panoid=-suUvDIB5YFNZkTH15pq1g&cbp=12,320.64969520103943,,0,4.548555377207023

I suppose a third option (but a very expensive one) would be to route a path through the station building.

It's hard to believe the local residents are so anti-social that they don't want neighbours to use their footpath. Makes me think I should petition Lambeth to get my street barricaded to keep people out. We should start a campaign about all these crazy gated fortresses that block off all the walking routes and create ghost towns where only criminals enter.

On the other comment - I agree you should be able to leave Southwark tube by the other exit towards Waterloo without finding yourself in need of a train ticket. And if they moved the barriers dowstairs you could also make it a covered walking route from Blackfriars Rd to Waterloo.
Wednesday 15 April 2009 12.42pm
"It's hard to believe the local residents are so anti-social that they don't want neighbours to use their footpath. Makes me think I should petition Lambeth to get my street barricaded to keep people out. We should start a campaign about all these crazy gated fortresses that block off all the walking routes and create ghost towns where only criminals enter."

So Simon - you wouldn't mind people traipsing through your garden to get from A to B then? The blocks of flats on Greet Street are not a "gated fortress" - the grounds around the blocks of flats are communal gardens for the residents - and the residents pay for the upkeep of them - the path through the gardens is not a public right of way! By the way, I'm not a resident of the block in question but do appreciate that it's not "my right" to walk through someone else's garden just because it could make a good shortcut for me.
Wednesday 15 April 2009 2.43pm
Zoe wrote:
Jonathan, I couldn't agree more, it's a complete ripoff, why can't people just be let through. If you go on the tube you wouldn't be able to get off the other end, as there's a barrier, so it doesn't matter if people go through. We raised this with Val Shawcross, maybe other people could write as well, it seems to be working for the number 1/78!!

I used to travel from Waterloo East every day to Tonbridge, Kent. Because Southwark is my nearest station I would go there and buy my ticket at the machine there in the foyer and walk through to Waterloo East. Never a problem going, as the barriers recognised the ticket but almost every day (until a few members of staff got to know me) there would be an argument when I came home.

The barriers at Southwark, for some reason best known only to themselves and their programmers, would never let me through on the way back. So, I would have to find someone and explain as patiently as I could (didn't often manage it) that I had bought the ticket at Southwark's machine in the morning, that it had let me go to work so it ought to let me out again.

Invariably, they would say that simply wasn't possible and that I would have to buy a platform ticket or go back all the way and come out at Waterloo. My standpoint was that if the machine right there in front of them had sold me the ticket, surely I had the right to get on the train from there. After one particularly nasty confrontation, I wrote and complained officially. I got back various responses but none of them could explain the anomaly. I then kept a laminated copy of the response so would whip it out swiftly whenever accosted by a stroppy Tube person. Astonishingly, sometimes they still wouldn't believe me which is when I would find myself shouting in fury.

There was never a problem at the British Rail barriers at the top of the escalators, it was only at the tube end.

This went on for the three years I worked in Tonbridge. It was exhausting!
Zoe
Wednesday 15 April 2009 9.23pm
Unfortunately it's the passerbys who are anti-social, not the residents. The estates locally suffer from the drinkers at Ev and Jacks bar passing through, using it as a toilet, singing loudly, fighting and all the usual things that drunken people do.

There really isn't anything wrong with making estates secure, it isn't cuting off rights of way, it's just making residents lives a bit easier. I think there should be an easier way to get to Waterloo from Hatfields, but not at the expense of the residents - it's a bit Spock, but the needs of the few shouldn't outweigh the needs of the many!!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: