Melior Street Garden

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 13 April 2009 9.38pm
Just seen the news item about the development plans for Melior Street Garden. One of the first things that struck me when I came to live in SE1 was the number of attractive little green spaces we've got and the careful work that goes into planting and maintaining them. I'm still finding new ones. Now that spring's come, I wondered if people have particular favourites?

Related news & features

Monday 13 April 2009 10.03pm
watching the newts in the Red Cross Garden's pond has got to be the best!

Sitting in Leathermarket Gardens surrounded by roses. My Dad loved roses and it makes me feel like he's there.

This evening as I walked up Weston street between the parks I was surrounded by the scent of flowers.

I was in the Melior St. space recently and its like an anti-garden. I'm really looking forward to the new garden.
Tuesday 14 April 2009 9.13am
Haven't see the newts. Will make an appointment with them asap.
Tuesday 14 April 2009 3.16pm
The patchwork of gardens in SE1 is indeed a unique selling point of the area and makes it the liveable place we know and love. After a long time becoming convinced, the new planting in Potters Field has me entranced - familiarity has made me see that there is always something new to look at with the seasons, and it is an interestingly modern addition to more traditional planting elsewhere.

The Red Cross Garden is undoubtedly fabulous - it is like stepping back in time to a cottage garden. Leathermarket Gardens are glorious when the roses are out - just take a breath of that perfumed scent!

Cherry Blossom Gardens on the river as you approach The Angel at Rotherhithe (oh, let me have one just inside SE16 if you will?!) is great in April when the trees that give it its name are strutting their flowery stuff.

Best of all though at this time of year is the Mint Street garden (between Southwark Bridge Road and Marshalsea Road) - I was quite taken aback by how fantastic this looked yesterday. I like the chaoticly graceful planting - catch the spring pinks and blues here whilst you can, and then come back in a few months to smell the Summer herbal planting (lavender blues, rosemary and thyme aplenty!)

A selection to make the most green fingered gardener in "greener" postcodes jealous, and all on our doorsteps her in SE1.
Wednesday 15 April 2009 8.07am
St. Mary Magdalene's churchyard on the corner of Long Lane and Tower Bridge Road is a lovely area in late spring and summer.
Wednesday 15 April 2009 12.47pm
And not to forget the beautiful secluded sanctuary All Hallows Garden or as it's sometimes also known - the Copperfield Street Garden.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: