Illegal Trading on Jubilee Bridges - Who is responsible?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 14 April 2009 2.06pm
The illegal street vendors and con-artists (guess which cup the ball is in etc) on the two Jubilee Bridges is becoming a real nuisance.

I'm guessing that no action has been taken so far as they are outside of either Westminster or Southwark's area of responsibility. Who can take action? There is a similar problem on Westminster Bridge. Are bridges that are between two council's area a no-mans land?
Tuesday 14 April 2009 2.41pm
i think it's the invisible line in the middle of the bridge that denotes what council it comes under.
Tuesday 14 April 2009 2.54pm
It won't be anything to do with Southwark, truthmonkey - everything on the South Bank west of Oxo Tower Wharf is in Lambeth.

Might be worth dropping an email to the Bishop's Ward Safer Neighbourhood Team - I think there's a separate police team for the Lambeth bit of the South Bank but the Bishop's ward people should at least in theory know whose responsibility it is.

bishops.snt@met.police.uk

Alternatively if you feel strongly about it you could write to the Bishop's ward councillors or raise it at a South Bank Forum meeting.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 14 April 2009 2.57pm
James Hatts wrote:
everything on the South Bank west of Oxo Tower Wharf is in Lambeth.

Many thanks for the advice! I'll post an update if I get anywhere...
Tuesday 14 April 2009 3.51pm
I was going to suggest making a citizens arrest but it seems selling hotdogs or chocolate coated peanuts is not a crime serious enough to allow a citizens arrest. However if the food on sale is likely to cause ill health you may have just cause.
You could try chucking their carts into the river but I imagine you would be the one arrested.
Although it seems you can carry out a citizens arrest on a ticket tout.
Tuesday 14 April 2009 4.13pm
There seem to be less food sellers now and more peddlars of scarves, "your name in wire" and cigarettes.
Wednesday 15 April 2009 9.00am
the people I find annoying are the merry band of trumpet blowers, drummers etc that play full blast in your face as you walk past.... while trying to disguise theie cans of booze in plastic bags...(hence the merriment)they seem to divvy up the cash about 6pm......the ones under the bridge that blast the Festival Hall are pretty bad too - detracts from the whole area in my opinion and disturbs people having a peaceful walk by the river.....
Wednesday 15 April 2009 3.38pm
Yes they are annyoning - and completely lacking in any musical talent that might make you glad to see them.

I've not had a replay from the Safer Neighbourhood Team, but have had a rather curious reply from my earlier email to Southwark asking for my home address so they can log and action the complaint. Either they don't read the details until it is fully logged or they are as confused as I was over the borough boundaries!
Wednesday 15 April 2009 4.45pm
I suspect the Bridges are the responsibility of Westminster as it generally falls to the North Shore. This is certainly true of the Bridges that connect the city with South London, they're all maintained by the Corporation. The Jubilee Bridge also has signs on it saying that it's covered by Wesminster's CCTV system.

The illegal street trading problem on the South Bank has been ongoing for a while and there are signs warning people that they have little or no change of winning the Shell Games.

Contacting the appropriate Safer Neighbourhoods team is the way to go, they'll probably ASBO them eventually...
Thursday 16 April 2009 3.27pm
I was also amazed to see the guy that was jailed a while back for selling travel books in Sutton Walk(had an organised gang that nicked the books!) Was back in action selling hotdogs on Westminster Bridge ........
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: