Tax office

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 30 January 2004 3.21pm
Are there any tax offices in SE1? Or near???

(Guess who's only just done her tax return!)
Friday 30 January 2004 3.36pm
Waterloo 1
Lancaster House
70 Newington Causeway
London
SE1 6DP

0845 302 1455 (think this covers all London enquiries)

Waterloo 1 is an "enquiry centre".
"Most Enquiry Centres are open to the public from Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5.00pm, and some are also open outside these hours"
Friday 30 January 2004 3.49pm
Thank you. For anyone else as tardy as me, I've just checked and you can drop your self-assessment forms off there until Sunday and avoid the 100 fine.
Friday 30 January 2004 4.31pm
oh god. Can anyone recommend an accountant who can help with tax returns? (seriously)
Friday 30 January 2004 5.24pm
Today there were queues out onto Gaunt St.

If you need to see a person there; they are open tomorrow Sat. at 9 am. They close early; can't remember the time.

Kevin
Friday 30 January 2004 7.38pm
I work in the Tax Office in Dublin - our system is quite similar to the U.K. one, as we inherited the whole thing when the British left our country.

But I think the backlogs in Britain are even worse than our place.

Sometimes people pay accountants to do the returns, and its often not necessary. In fact, sometimes the accountants can provide additional information which wasn't requested by 'Revenue', but which results in the taxpayer having to pay more tax!

I never passed a maths exam, so it's quite comical that the Civil Service assigned me to a position where I calculate people's liability!

I'd (obviously) love to do an exchange with an Inland Revenue employee in London for a month or so.... I'd be quite happy to file for England - nothing too taxing, you understand..
Friday 30 January 2004 8.38pm
Gaffer,
I have nothing but praise for my accountant, Colin Mason of Mason Dharsi. Does a lot of small business accounts, is really knowledgeable on a whole range of stuff, is organised, strong on the reminders to get stuff in on time, not too expensive and nice to boot.

How many more positives can you say about an accountant. He is based in East Croydon, and his number is 020 8686 5283.

If you speak to him suggest he gives me a discount!

Sarah

PS. TLMJJ, good luck. I once went seven years without filing a return in the good old days when they did not fine you. That was a catch up! I needed to have a baby and maternity leave in order to do so.

Post edited (30 Jan 04 20:39)
Friday 30 January 2004 11.30pm
I do PAYE and have no income apart from work, so it was really very simple to do in the end - I don't know why I put off doing it for 10 months! Though, equally, I don't know why they sent one to me in the first place! Still, it's done now...
Friday 30 January 2004 11.50pm
There's a good article here on 'legitimate' expenses you can claim against tax.

http://money.msn.co.uk/tax/TaxReturn/insight/Taxfilingtips/claims/default.asp

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: