Foxes' Nest in Garden

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 16 April 2009 9.28pm
Last week I heard some disturbing noises (like something was being eaten alive) coming from the overgrown bushes in my neighbours garden, it was very scary until one of the neighbours told me it was coming from the foxes' nest....

I have spoken to the neighbours, who were not forthcoming, they don't care as they never step out or maintain the garden (students renting the house!). I am not sure who the landlord is either. All I know, there's about 6-10 people in a 3 bed house!

this evening, i heard the same cries and looked out, there were 3-4 foxes roaming my garden shed, which is very close to the bushes of next door....

what can i do? who can i turn to for assistance? any info is appreciated.
Thursday 16 April 2009 9.33pm
Friday 17 April 2009 7.57am
There is a man called John Bryant of the Fox Project he may be able to give advice. 07778 909092 or the fox welfare 07778183954 lady called Lisa from Rotherhithe.

Just don't make the mikstake I made to feed the lovely little cubs...i ended up with entire families visiting..and the stinky poos and the urine..;-(
Friday 17 April 2009 9.33am
My neighbour has some tumble down sheds that a fox is using as its den. The neighbour bought a motion activated sonic fox scarer - complete waste of time - I think the fox even attempted to carry it out of the sheds.

As it has attacked my cat on 3 occasions we looked into a more 'final solution'. A baited trap is set and then the fox is taken for a rest in the country. 300 ponds per fox! Problem is the vacancy will be filled by all the other foxes in the area. Although this may mean a less aggressive fox gets the territory it might just mean the same problem as before. We are looking into helping neighbour take down the sheds and make it less fox friendly.

You could also just enjoy the wildlife...
Friday 17 April 2009 10.04am
"Fox welfare"? Is there also a rat welfare unit?
Friday 17 April 2009 12.04pm
And dumping a city fox in the countryside only transfers your problem to someone else (at a cost of 300!?!?). City foxes generally stand out a mile in the country, either because they don't know what they're doing, or because they are generally scraggy things.

For one reason (disease, inability to live well in the wild, shotgun), they don't last long in the countryside

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 17 April 2009 12.48pm
JimG wrote:
As it has attacked my cat on 3 occasions we looked into a more 'final solution'.

That's very unusual. I wonder if it was a vixen with cubs. Poor cat. Foxes are more likely to be scared of cats or befriend them. A vet nurse once told me that foxes playing with cats was a common cause of mange in the cats, and a friend of mine had a cat that we often saw curled up with the fox behind his Camberwell block.

hmeah. What's actually bothering you? Is it the noise? I know they can be loud and its not the nicest of sounds.
Would your neighbour let you cut down the overgrown bushes? I know you shouldn't have to but sometimes its just easier. I wonder if the den is a bit exposed they might decide to move elsewhere. Railway sidings are often the best place for urban foxes.
Friday 17 April 2009 3.52pm
Ivanhoe - by a rest 'in the country' I meant 'hit over the head with a spade' or some other way of despatching...

beetroot - yes, it has cubs - still no reason to go after poor shiva. she did used to sneak into its sheds and steal various bits of KFC that had been saved for later. the fox even came into our conservatory to threaten shiva.
Friday 17 April 2009 4.10pm
Ah Jim, I see.

It's just that there are people who DO dump town foxes in the country. First heard of this a few years back, when talking to a gamekeeper (who, as much as he was employed to control fox numbers, amongst other things, was genuinely horrified at this bad treatment of urban foxes).

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 17 April 2009 5.32pm
The foxes never attacked my cat or the two young cats next door.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: