Graffiti - Abbey St / Maltby Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 31 December 2003 3.36pm
Hello People.

I am pretty new to your forum having been a lurker for a few years, but I have a question which is bugging me, and as its pretty pointless I decided to put it in chatter rather than the more serious one.

There is a stencilled woman, possibly a Banksy, on Maltby Street, at the corner of Abbey st, the reason it is bugging me is it looks like art I have seen before - Eric Krull or similar. (Due to one of my pastimes I see a lot of that kind of art, but cannot find the original).

My question is twofold,

is it a copy of another piece?

Why is it there? Who is the artist? are there similar works elsewhere?

OK, a bit more than twofold, but I would like more info.

Can anyone help?

Saturday 31 January 2004 11.57am
Hello people.

Well I thought I would post myself a reply in the hope that it will start a flurry (mines a crunchie thank you) of activity and help me out in discovering the origins of this artwork.

I can but try
Sunday 1 February 2004 2.56pm
Hello Bill,
Welcome aboard! I haven't seen the piece that you mention, but I can remember seeing something in one of those tunnels off Tooley Street a while ago and thinking that it was by Banksy, maybe it's still there?
Sunday 1 February 2004 11.32pm
Alan, is it the angel you've seen? I'm sure that's Banksy. I haven't seen the one on Maltby Street - I keep meaning to walk that way, but my goldfish memory forgets as soon as I leave the flat.
Monday 2 February 2004 8.17am
Help Please! What's a 'Banksy'?
Monday 2 February 2004 8.29am
Thanks James.
Monday 2 February 2004 9.00am
Yes, the angel was there this morning, but didn't I see a guardsman in one of those recesses? Perhaps it's been boarded up.
Monday 2 February 2004 10.58am

Does anyone remember the massive 'chequebook vandalism' (if I remember the name correctly ?) which was on the boards under the arches on Clink Street.
Monday 2 February 2004 11.36am
I miss old fashioned vandalism. "George Davis is innocent", "who stole my bike?", "We know where you live" and "God so loved the world he gave his only sony". But of course my personal favourite (from Keyworth St SE1), "Yoda is a nonce".
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: