Best value travel pass option?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 20 April 2009 4.30pm
Hello, my name is Mark and I am new here.

I am to spend next week in London with my family and need to find the travell pass which offers the best possible value for that period.

We all need to be able to use the buses and underground for the whole day.

Anybody got any ideas?

We appreaciate all help that you can give us.

Kind regards,
Mark
Monday 20 April 2009 4.44pm
Every time I have looked at this, Oyster card works out best. You can buy them at the station or on-line and will pay a 3.00 deposit. The deposit is refundable when you return the card. You then put soem money on them as well and it will allow you to pay as you go, but you will never pay more than the maximum day rate for the zones you have travelled.

All information on how to apply for them, and cost of different types of tickets here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/2930.aspx

and on oyster cards here: https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/entry.do
Monday 20 April 2009 9.27pm
Hi Tattie,

Thanks for your response. Yes I would say you are right in general.

However in this case I am not sure.
The reason being that we have two kids. One of which is in the 11 to 16 age group and one who is younger than 11.

Now what is very confusing is whether the youngest needs any kind of travel ticket at all as she is travelling with us. The older one could apply for an Oyster card, but as it is one with a picture it seems you have to apply for this a long time before travelling which in this case won't work as we will be there on saterday morning.

So I think the best way is to get two adult 3 day off-peak travel cards. Would you agree?

Regards,
Mark
Monday 20 April 2009 9.47pm
I tried to find my way through the tfl website as I will have under 18 visitors in summer. I agree, it looks like you have to apply for a childrens' oyster card well in advance.
In your case - staying a whole week (?) maybe it might be worth getting 2 oyster card for adults and a day travel pass for the adult who then takes the child on his card? Not sure if there are other (i.e. better) ways....
I have many visitors coming to see me, and I am always surprised by how much we actually walk, so you might end up travelling a lot cheaper on a pay-as-you-go basis.
I hope you enjoy the time with your family in this beautiful (and hopefully sunny) city! Make sure they see as much as possible from SE1 ;-)
Monday 20 April 2009 10.37pm
Thanks lisa!

Well the thing is, that we will be in London on the Saterday, but up in birmingham on the sunday. Then back in London on the monday to wednesday. And on thursday we are visiting elsewhere, so I think we need two single day passes for the saterday and 2 3day pases for the mon-wed.

regards,
Mark
Tuesday 21 April 2009 8.41am
Hi, can anyone tell me how long it would actually take to obtain an Oyster card or an adult?

Regards,
Mark
Tuesday 21 April 2009 9.47am
just go to a ticket office and ask for one - it shouldn't take more than a few minutes!
Tuesday 21 April 2009 10.20am
Under 11's are free. Just find teh station attendant and tehy will let you through - trust me I've done it! To be on the safe side, you may wish to take a passport copy with you although I have never been stopped even with tall 10-year olds.

Under 17's are free with an under-17 photocard. There is a part on the tfl site where you can order these on-l;ine. Cost 5 and you will have to send them a digital photograph. Rumour has it they are also available from the post office. If you get them from tfl, you will have to allow 2 weeks if you are in London, 3 weeks if you want tehm sent to an address outside.

Hope this helps.
Tuesday 21 April 2009 10.07pm
Thanks folks you are being a great help.

As we live outside of the UK so it is a bit difficult to find the best way of doing things... (:-)

Regards,
Mark
Wednesday 22 April 2009 7.55am
Now that we are through our planning phase we have a better idea about were we will be and when.

We will be staying in the Sutton, Surrey area and have been told by somebody that it would be easier if we catch a train from Carshalton Beeches station into Victoria and travel around from there. That a opposed to catching the tube from Morden tube station.

Any ideas about this and whether this is a more expensive way to go?

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,
Mark
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: