Reasonable priced placed where you can eat?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 21 April 2009 8.49am
Hi there,

As we will be visiting the central London area I was wondering whether anybody can tell me where you can eat a decent meal, but for an reasonable price?

We are not looking for Haut Cousine, but for a normal place where we can go with our kids.
As we are there for about five days we need to keep to a budget concerning eating or else eating out in London is going to be more expensive than staying there.

Regards,
Mark
Tuesday 21 April 2009 9.45am
Most pubs in the area offer good value for money. I think there are some recommendations here in the forum.
If your plan is to have lunch/dinner somewhere in the City or West End, it might be worth to check which places offer 50% / 2 for 1, there are a number of restaurants, you can look that up on the internet:

http://www.vouchercodes.co.uk/printable-vouchers.html
Tuesday 21 April 2009 12.22pm
And don't forget the food and drinks section on this site!
Tuesday 21 April 2009 1.15pm
Hi Mark, my personal recommendations in central London are
1. Stockpot, 18 Old Compton Street
http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/reviews/330.html
2. C&R Malaysian Cafe, Rupert Court (alley tucked next to Pizza Express on Wardour Street)
3. London Chinatown, 27 Gerrard Street (they do a 10 3 course dinner)

Hope this is useful.
Tuesday 21 April 2009 9.14pm
LisaJ wrote:
Most pubs in the area offer good value for money...

The original poster said that they were bringing their kids. Please don't take them into pubs. Isn't that what MacDonalds is for?

Yours might be wonderfully behaved, but I've lost count of the number of quiet lunches or evenings I've had ruined (particularly in rural pubs) by children treating the pub or its garden as a playground.

Some people choose to be child-free, some just need somewhere to go to away from children. Please allow us to have somewhere we can go away from the screaming pint-sized domestic tyrants.
Zoe
Tuesday 21 April 2009 10.14pm
Tas do a lunchtime menu for 5.90 in the one on The Cut. They have other branches but I don't know if they offer the same menu. I went with some colleagues and we thought it was nice!
Tuesday 21 April 2009 10.15pm
Yes Phil, you are officially "Rambling" (:-)

I can understand your frustration sometimes.
But please do not forget that one day those screaming brats are going to be paying for your health care, your old age pension and perhaps even with some luck looking after you in the old age centers. Good thing kids don't have an elefant's memory or they might remember which grownup yelled at them to shut up.....

But to get back to the subject at hand, are pubs still off limits for minors? How can you tell which pubs serve food and accept minors?

Regards,
Mark
Tuesday 21 April 2009 10.19pm
Rambling Phil wrote:
LisaJ wrote:
Most pubs in the area offer good value for money...

Yours might be wonderfully behaved, but I've lost count of the number of quiet lunches or evenings I've had ruined (particularly in rural pubs) by children treating the pub or its garden as a playground.

Some people choose to be child-free, some just need somewhere to go to away from children. Please allow us to have somewhere we can go away from the screaming pint-sized domestic tyrants.

Hear! Hear! Phil! I went to a wedding in Lens, France, some time ago and there was a long table set up for the children at the reception. Their behaviour was impeccable. If they wanted something they looked in the direction of their respective parents and waited patiently until maman or père came to see what was wanted. No running about, sliding or screaming, although they joined in the dancing enthusiastically. What a culture shock if the adults there ever attend a British wedding reception.
Tuesday 21 April 2009 10.31pm
To be honest, I also belong to the category of people who prefer dining without kids running and screaming around them (or dogs lying underneath the table next to me, but fortunately this does not seem to be a problem in this country!!). However I assume most people with kids dine at different times and places than I tend to do when I want to have a relaxed and quiet dinner, and I definitely think that parents with kids should be able - and welcome - to eat wherever they like.

Not entirely sure with kids in a pub though - I think I have seen families in pubs at lunchtime. Maybe not later in the evening, given the constitution of some pub visitors (and some places can be extremely crowded).
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: