Without Latinos there would be no London?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 21 April 2009 2.12pm
"Without there being Latins and Latinos there would be no London," London Assembly chair Jennette Arnold told a rally at the Elephant & Castle Leisure Centre on Sunday.

No offense to anyone, but either I'm crazy or this is PC gone wild. How could anyone say this seriously and mean it? (I don't think she is referring to the Romans.)

Story here:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3846
Tuesday 21 April 2009 2.57pm
It's a politician currying favour with a potential bloc vote.
Quote:
"You have location. You are here and as long as you stay nobody can move you."
She called for new legislation to assist those who have uncertain immigration status.
I think I've seen this movie.
Tuesday 21 April 2009 3.05pm
Is that an accurate quote? If it is it's clearly just wrong - perhaps she was meaning to say there would be no E&C without that particular group...which is questionable, to say the least. However, my understanding of the speech as represented on this site is that she said that the local Latin American population are 'Londoners first...' not the first Londoners - fair enough.
Tuesday 21 April 2009 3.05pm
I think it could be said about people groups from all areas of London. Clapham, for example, is heavily populated by Australians and one could argue that there would be no London without Australians or Asians, or Africans, or some European nations (Poland springs to mind). So effectively one is saying, "In order for London to be London, it has to celebrate tolerance and diversity."

London, as a geographical location, would actually still exist if nobody lived in it, but I guess she was trying to suggest that it's London's people that make it alive and keep it vibrant, and without our Latin American neighbours, London would be poorer.

I can't see what's contentious.
Tuesday 21 April 2009 3.19pm
Homeletter wrote:
but I guess she was trying to suggest that it's London's people that make it alive and keep it vibrant, and without our Latin American neighbours, London would be poorer.
I can't see what's contentious.

That's one interpretation, a viewpoint which I assume is yours, Homeletter - and if she had said that I doubt if there could be a serious challenge to her statement - but [it appears] she didn't state her viewpoint in those terms.
Tuesday 21 April 2009 3.22pm
So "Without there being Latins and Latinos there would be no London," means "without our Latin American neighbours, London would be poorer."

Right-ho. I'm off to the jacuzzi now that's straightened out.
Tuesday 21 April 2009 3.26pm
It's an odd remark but I don't think it is meant to be overanalysed. Perhaps she went off script - she is rallying for her party and perhaps trying to overshadow Boris's recent visit to E&C.
Tuesday 21 April 2009 7.38pm
what a dumb comment... that politician i mean not our repected threaders!!
Wednesday 22 April 2009 12.13am
Imagine a Latino on a 78 bus, who works at the Health & Safety Exec - what confusion!
Wednesday 22 April 2009 10.02am
Just more empty rhetoric...looks nice in quotes on a headline, 'nuff said.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: