That Polish Place restaurant

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 3 February 2004 11.47am

Can't remember which in thread you asked what the polish place on NKR was like, so I made this new one. Here's my thoughts. Hope they're useful

The place is a bit eccentric, but probably all the better for it. A large room with a central dancefloor and tables on slightly raised platforms around the walls. Balloons and the remains of (?Christmas?) streamers. Dance music on the radio, giving way to a “Polish DJ” around 9pm.

Very friendly waiting staff. We were taken under the wing of a cheerful middle-aged man with a magnificent ‘tache, and the adventure began.

Starters involved a lot of dishes with herring, a couple of meaty ones (e.g. smoked duck breast), and a couple of soups. In the absence of fresh raw herring I had pickled herring with apple and sour cream (great combination of sour, sweet, and creamy), and Mrs Ivanhoe had goulash soup (“Hungarian food” as our waiter said, but none the worse for that. Meaty, with plenty of paprika).

There were a selection of salads, priced as if they were intended to be quite substantial, and (I think) mostly featuring some sort of meat, as well as meat-based main courses. I came to the conclusion that Poland has no fishing industry, but then immediately remembered that Solidarity started in the dockyards of Gdansk, so got confused for 5 minutes until my steak arrived, hot on the heels of Mrs I's lamb.

Both dishes were lovely. Thick hearty sauces and little dumplings which managed to be comfortingly stodgy and tasty at the same time. Fresh veg on the side. Polish beer on tap (tasted like beer - which is good), and Mrs I had a glass or two of house wine which generated no comment either way.

We passed on deserts, lingered a while over another drink, and were leaving just as things looked set to hot up (when we arrived the place was empty, but it steadily filled up with people my ears guessed were Polish and by the time we left it the DJ was up and running and it looked all set for a lively night of food and dancing). The bill for two of us was something between 40 and 50 with a nice tip. Starters (I think) were around a fiver, with mains somewhere between about 9 and 15, but mostly around the 12 mark.

I'd go again. I'd make sure I went later (we were hungry early on in the evening, and so had eaten and left by around 9:30) because I got the feeling that the place was quite a community hangout and would be buzzing later in the evening. I'd also make sure I went there hungry, and not with a vegetarian (although I may have missed any overtly veggie choices on the menu, I'm sure I would have looked for fish dishes and I swear there were none).

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Tuesday 3 February 2004 3.44pm
Well done, Ivanhoe! I will certainly go. Why don't you send this to the Standard and they might pay you in the future.
Tuesday 3 February 2004 4.20pm
Thread moved and renamed so as to be useful for people searching for info.

And it was The Unladylike Ms Jo who posted about the restaurant, not TLMJJ.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 3 February 2004 4.51pm
Sorry TULMJJ. Please forgive name confusion.

All these people changing forum names all the time can get very confusing ;-)

Tuesday 3 February 2004 5.21pm
I still can't believe that it really is trading as "That Polish Place"

Does it not have some consonant-rich name in Polish?
Tuesday 3 February 2004 5.41pm
It is confusing, I agree.

Whilst I found the meal delicious, I'd only really gone in for a tin of neutral.

Tuesday 3 February 2004 11.15pm
Confusion all round - I'm beginning to regret choosing a name liable to be misread as belonging to a longstanding and well-loved poster - youre the second person to be confused. Just to be clear to all - I am NOT the Lady Miss Jo Jo nor a reincarnation of her. And I have been TUMsJo from my first post - never changed!

Anyway thanks for your full report - glad you and Mrs Ivanhoe enjoyed yourselves. I shall definitely go but I shall not be taking any vegetarian friends, there was no meat-free main course and not even any fish. Starters the only option - and beware, a lot of Polish things made with cabbage contain added meat, as might other things, eg. beetroot soup may be made with meat stock.

I shall also be frequenting the little shop to get my salt herrings - fantastic to find them round the corner when I previously had to wait for trips to Harrods or Ealing (I am still alive having eaten a packet marked 'store at 0-5 degrees C' which were stored on the counter top!). The shop claims to be open till something like 10pm! The intriguing thing about it is the way they sell stuff like Polish sugar and Polish packet soup and other such perfectly ordinary groceries, but imported from Poland, all covered with Polish text with little labels stuck on giving the ingredients in English. Weird people these Polish folks. Also unsure about the desirability of 'Polish DJ'.
I too had got the idea the place was more aimed at the Polish community but had never been aware of any Polish community round here.

Might pop in on Friday to see if theyve got any nice Polish cakes - see you there?
Wednesday 4 February 2004 11.22am
I'd love to, ulmjj, but will be having an inordinate amount of meals at my desk for the next 3 weeks. however it would be great if we got a msgboard posse to go and you could be our cultural guide and tip us off to the top polish delicacies (and maybe translate a bit of the dj plays any top popski)

[comment re name changing was only in reference to my own - not always constant- name]

Wednesday 4 February 2004 11.24am
There used to be two very nice polish girls who worked in the Pagoda (now Hartley's), Alex and Sylvia, and a few Pilish people used to get in there. I know the girls have moved on. I think, judging by the newsagent's window on the New Kent Road at the Elephant, that there is a community of Poles herabouts, the same for Columbians, Mexicans, Russians etc etc
Wednesday 4 February 2004 11.52am
Dear James Hatts and friends; Sorry about my last post. I pressed the wrong button. Please disregard everything after 'etc etc' on the fourth line.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: