Boris's street tree scheme

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 7 May 2009 10.03am
Just been reminded of this by recent comments on the thread about the Elephant housing sites...

Laudable though the scheme is in theory, how on earth did they come up with the boundaries of the "priority areas"?

pdf map of ".orough" on Mayor's website

For some parts of SE1 within this boundary, such as Borough Market and the former warehouse area around Shad Thames, there should surely be a ban on more street trees. They add to the suburbanisation and prettification of the conservation area, whose hisorical integrity is already under enough threat.

By contrast there are other areas outside the boundary which could benefit from additional planting?
Tuesday 8 June 2010 3.28pm
The area has now been expanded and the boundaries are slightly less eccentric:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/4601

Still a bizarre system though.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 9 June 2010 9.20am
Don't know what all the fuss is about - Southwark Council has been quietly planting trees around the area for years. You have only to ask and trees are added to the planting schedule. I contacted a nice man called Oliver Stutter (in charge of trees) three years ago and six weeks later we had six trees planted in Burrell Street. My friends call them 'Sue's trees'. Sadly the dust cart knocked one over, so now there are only five! I think what I'm trying to say is, Boris is making a song and dance about something which has been going on for years.
Monday 14 June 2010 8.21am
I notice that one of the comparatively new trees in Princess Street has been chopped down to make way for the Cycle Superhighway. Shame really, but as I am also a keen cyclist I feel a bit ambivalent. I just hope that they don't chop down any of the ones in St George's Road that are close to the new flats since I notice some people will have very little light unless they are trimmed back.

We just had our footpath widened and I note that 'our' trees have practically been concreted in. I am tempted to do my own 'guerilla gardener' on them to see if I can get anything to grow amongst the sand and concrete - carrots perhaps? They like sand!
Monday 14 June 2010 8.54am
How about a few bits of root ginger Beverly, they like a light sandy growing medium...carrots and ginger, good combonation, gives a new meaning to pick your own!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: