London Bridge Tower

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
SE1 Res
Tuesday 12 March 2002 10.02pm
A new 66 story tower is to be built - with little regard for the context of its surroundings. Why does every borough want a skyscraper and how is the tower to aid the regeneration of the area. Why is development not from the ground up; ie. on a grassroots level, but from the top down.

The lack of planning insight, and the haphazardous development of these phallic vanity projects do nothing for London.

I would much rather see a concentration of, what might be architecturally fascinating, tall buildings grouped together - the most logically spot being Canary Wharf.

Look forward to any opinions out there.
Tuesday 12 March 2002 11.33pm
I have lived in SE1 all my life and something that has also been noticeable is the high level of unemployment. I believe that this scheme goes some way to changing the perception of Southwark for international companies seeking to locate within the UK, particularly London. The tower will act as a beacon, marking the spot for a more dynamic Southwark. I hope that the trickle down effect works, as we now have MoreLondon and London Bridge City office complexes all in the same vicinity. I will be up to the Mayor and Southwark council to ensure that local people are engaged these companies who choose to do business here.

Finally it is a stunning building adding to the eclecticism of the southbank and will be the tallest in Europe.
Wednesday 13 March 2002 7.53am
SE1 res....I agree with you.
G seeing as you obviously know more about the tower than I do (apart from the dreadful visual impact on our beloved Father Thames) is this property going to where the Price Waterhouse building is?

Is it going to be as originally mentioned a mixture of residential and commercial? or a microcosm of an elite community?

If it does run to 'plan' the employment issue is a fascinating one, unfortunately somehow I don't have faith in 'equal' opportunities as you do. The only work available to local people will probably be low paid, i.e. cleaners, porters etc., while the decent paying work will be directed to where it normally goes. The Corporate bosses...The Old boy network...

and on a lesser note, having endured worse journeys than normal to the city via a 21 sodding bus, what will happen when the buildings necessary are demolished? and London/Tower bridge traffic will be reduced to one lane at a time!
Wednesday 13 March 2002 12.05pm
Yes the tower shall be situate where the Southwark Towers (PWC) now stand. It will be mixed use also, as well as having public galleries for looking over Father Thames along his meander through this great city.

I am not a great believer in corporations commitment to Equal Opportunities, however, I beleive that if the community makes its voice heard, the corporate guys will comply, even if it is appease and throw off bad media publicity.

In terms of the traffic, that is a foreseeable effect, but I personally believe that we'll have something that we can really be proud of. This for me will outweigh the temporary delays and as you know the transport in this part of South London is quite good, so you might have the option of taking a train or tube as alternatives, depending on your location.

Lastly I want to add that London Bridge Station is being redeveloped and this is work which can now be done in tandem with it, to make the bus, train, tube and bike infrastructure of this crucial interchange word class.
Julia Brown
Wednesday 13 March 2002 2.23pm
This building will be truely iconic if it goes ahead. London will not only have Europes tallest tower, but a tower whch is the 21st century's answer to the Eifel tower. I can't wait till its built!.

I hope Steven Byers, for once in his life, makes the right decision and *does not* order yet another publc enquiry, wasting yet more tapayer cash.
Wednesday 13 March 2002 2.26pm
Of course a structure should take account of its surroundings in some ways (sustainability etc), but this argument should never be taken to it's logical extreme. If it was, the Eiffel Tower would never have been built (not in keeping with existing Paris architecture at the time it was built) and neither would St Paul's Cathedral.

The original (taller) design for this building was awful, but the redesign by Renzo Piano is truly world class. In 10 years from now the London Bridge Tower will be an integral part of the London cityscape, recognised across the world and, I expect, loved by a great many Londoners. Southwark is very lucky to be getting this new building.
Wednesday 13 March 2002 2.43pm
the fact of the matter is that lbt is being done with context to its surroundings. has anyone here actually seen the renderings at ground level? if you had you wouldnt be so quick to condemn. it is built on a transport hub to reduce traffic and is part of the refurbishment of the entire area. southwark can expect an even larger plan to be done in elephant and castle next year.
Wednesday 13 March 2002 2.51pm
where is the renderings at ground level to be found James?
Wednesday 13 March 2002 2.57pm - read the news section, the whole planning procedure is documented there too.
Wednesday 13 March 2002 10.31pm
Given the recent news about subsidence across London along the route of the Jubilee Line extension surely the idea of plonking a giant building atop this line is madness.

In respect of the opportunity for empoyment II work in SE1, have lived in SE1/16 all my life and when the redevelopment of the Surrey Docks area took place most of the 'labour' was imported, some of it from as far afield as Sweden. Most people who move into the Tower will surely be just companies relocating to what is seen as a more prestigious address with no real opportunity for local people.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: