Tower Bridge Lift accident

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 11 May 2009 11.18pm
How awful you don't hear of that sort of accident very often, and you would least expect it inside Tower Bridge.
Tuesday 12 May 2009 12.04pm
So did the lift actually fall? I've always thought that can't happen.
Tuesday 12 May 2009 12.24pm
Didn't something similar happen at a gym near Liverpool St a couple of years back?
Tuesday 12 May 2009 12.45pm
Thankfully the injuries this time sound much more slight than that case.

I remain shocked as to why it has taken six years to bring a prosecution following the sad death of Katarzyna Woja at the Broadgate Club gym back in 2003, and puzzled as to why the Corporation of London rather than the CPS are bringing the action.

Unfortunately, it looks as though informed discussion is sub judice until the case returns to court in June
Tuesday 12 May 2009 1.35pm
That was a truly horrifying way for a young girl to die Lang Rabbie, I remember that well because I worked in number 1 near the ice rink. It is terrible to think that all these year later, that no one has been bought to task over it.
Tuesday 12 May 2009 5.10pm
Lang Rabbie wrote:
Thankfully the injuries this time sound much more slight than that case.
I remain shocked as to why it has taken six years to bring a prosecution following the sad death of Katarzyna Woja at the Broadgate Club gym back in 2003, and puzzled as to why the Corporation of London rather than the CPS are bringing the action.

Unfortunately, it looks as though informed discussion is sub judice until the case returns to court in June

I was a member there and remember stepping in and out of that lift many times. Very Sad... The prosecution is under Health and Safety law & not criminal law... One would assume that this is because it's a corporate failure and not a deliberate criminal act by one or more persons. Given that it's not a criminal prosecution it has to be brought by the Corporation of London and not the CPS. That said I also wondered about the time scale!
Tuesday 12 May 2009 5.22pm
I have never been in a health club that had an elevator , but I have been in the elevators in Tower Bridge,
I have to say it spoiled the historical experience getting in to a modern elevator, Its also worrying as I always like to think that if worst came to worst there would be some mechangnisem so slow any descent and cushion any impact, apparently not.
Saturday 21 November 2009 12.13am
I'm puzzled - if the HSE are still running an investigation six months on , why is the lift in the other tower (which IIRC was installed/refurbished at roughly the same time) still being allowed to operate?

Or was there some secret retro-fitting of additional safety features during the closure period in the spring?
Saturday 21 November 2009 10.54am
How many steps to the walkway? There are 311 to the top of the Monument and Tower Bridge at a guess must be about 200. Can't find the actual number on the wbsite or on Google.
Saturday 21 November 2009 12.16pm
Hmmm, IIRC the walkways are 140 feet above high water and bottom of the road deck is 29 feet 6 inches above high water.

Assuming about four feet for the depth of the bascules, that gives about a climb of c.110 feet. If the stairs have a seven inch riser, that gives just under 190 steps to climb.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: