Home Mac repairs

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 5 February 2004 10.52am
Does anyone know of a mac technician they can recommend, who can make home visits to sort Mac problems? I have hardware and networking issues and can't transport my machines to a shop.

ta...
hat
Thursday 5 February 2004 5.05pm
I know someone who is very good indeed. His name is Timmie and hiis email is: timmie[at]mac.com. I don't know what prices he charges but he's honest and very nice.

[email address edited by JH to protect it from spammers]
Thursday 5 February 2004 8.14pm
I've been using Mac Medicine. It's a guy who knows tons about Macs and especially design/publishing issues, which is great for me. He's really friendly and patient, but he only does central London zones 1/2. Not sure exactly. The website is www.macmedicine.net

If anyone knows a good decorator for a small bathroom, I'd be very grateful.
Thursday 5 February 2004 8.46pm
Well, I took a look at macmedicine (www.macmedicine.net) and they appear to cover zones 1 to 3. Sounds ok. But I would also try looking in Mac Magazines. They often have numbers listed in the back.
Friday 6 February 2004 8.39am
Fedora

What sort of problems, what type of Mac, what version of the O/S?

I'm in Tanner St and, if you're not too far away, I'd be pleased to help if I can.

Regards

Niall Connolly
Sunday 8 February 2004 8.16pm
Ooh! This is just what I need! I hope you don't mind be asking - Niall, I need to defragment my harddrive, on a mac g4 laptop, currently running OSX and OS 9 in classic. Do you know roughly how much time I need to allocate to do the task? And also whether it is difficult?

And on the point of the bathroom, Fedora, my friend Michael Rann has done some work for a couple of people on this site, and me, and is great - reasonably priced, timely, and does a really good job. For bathrooms, he doesn't tile the whole room, but if it's just a wall and all other decorating bits then he could be your man! His number's 07957665606. Cheers!
Sunday 8 February 2004 8.35pm
Are you sure that you need to defragment the disk?

OS X deals with fragmentation much better than Windows, and OS X 10.3 automatically defrags small files (less that 20MB).

There is no defragmentation tool built in to OS X, so you have to buy third-party software if you wish to perform this task.
Monday 9 February 2004 12.55am
Hi James, well I'm installing Steinberg Cubase music software, and all the manuals recommend you do, 'with a special defragmenter programme', do you know of any? I have a feeling I may need to invest..
Monday 9 February 2004 1.08am
Norton Utilities for Mac, DiskWarrior or Drive 10 should all do the trick.

But I'd avoid Norton as the Mac version was terrible last time I used it.

Is the part of the manual you are reading definitely Mac-specific?

From doing a bit of Googling on this subject it seems that opinions are divided about the necessity/desirability of regular defragmentation on the Mac.

See also http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25668
Al
Monday 9 February 2004 10.27am
Just to throw in my five cents, if you do go for Norton Utilities and are running 10.3 you would have to buy the latest stand alone version 8.0.1.

The version bundled with Norton Systemworks/Systemworks 3.0 will not install although the box implies Systemworks will work with 10.3

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/num.nsf/docid/2003101513593311?OpenDocument&ExpandSection=5
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: