Annoying Alarms

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 5 February 2004 3.17pm
I returned home from work yesterday evening, to the unwelcoming sound of a local shop alarm on Crucifix Lane.
This continued in irregular intervals up until about 10.00 p.m. By this time I was almost pulling my hair out - was it going to start again or not? Thankfully, it didn't, & I managed to get an alarm free night sleep (although, I haven't been so lucky in the past) or rather, at least till 7.30a.m. when it started up again. I left for work at 8.45 a.m. & it was still going.
From previous experience, I knew it was pointless to call the noise pollution team as they cannot do anything till after 10.00pm. Even after this time it can take forever to sort out -
Firstly, to arrange a visit to my property and listen to the level of sound from the room it will be most annoying; they then have to decide whether it is of public nuisance.
Secondly, once a decision has been made, they have to contact a judge, so they can get a warrant to break into the building & turn the alarm off.
Apart from feeling extremely agitated (from the sound of the alarm) & deaf (from the volume on my TV to drown the alarm), I am amazed that this is allowed to happen. I can see the shop that was causing the problem, from my kitchen window & not once did anyone turn up to check the place out. Not even the Police.
It didn't appear to look as if there had been a burglary, which is maybe why it carried on for so long.
The shop is built under the railway arches, which may trigger the alarm off & has happened many times before. If this is the case, you would think that the alarm system they have in place would be able to cope with the rumbles of trains overhead?
If not, why are they not linked directly to the Police & silent? - especially in a residential area.
Anybody suffering from similar problems?

Thursday 5 February 2004 4.01pm
Kyliedog,

Maybe a nice little note in the door of the shop might help? I get annoyed when a car alarm goes on for longer than 2 minutes, so I completely sympathise.
Thursday 5 February 2004 4.24pm
Really annoying I agree!

Had similar experience a few years ago and contacted Police who basically did zero BUT if they keep being bothered with calls on this they will visit the owner. They are supposed to check out the premises if this is reported.

I contacted the alarm company to check that they had current contact details of the keyholder (which they should have) Turned out contact was out of date so there was no key-holder to visit the shop etc. Problem was solved very quickly! Sign with name of alarm company should be outside shop somewhere.

You could also contact the new home beat officer PC Dave Bean at Walworth PS who might have a word with the shopowner to back you up. Try putting note in shop as Tizzy suggests first.

Good Luck!!!

Modigliani
Thursday 5 February 2004 4.37pm
Thanks for the comments guys!
I'll get writing now. Pretty sure the alarm will start up again in the very near future, so it'll be good to be prepared.........
Monday 9 February 2004 10.38pm
It is now Met policy not to investigate building alarms - they tell everyone to contact the council.

I wonder if the people who sell alarms tell their customers this?!
Tuesday 10 February 2004 6.28pm
Kylie - you should try the Noise Polution team again, I had a problem alarm near me and called the noise team - it may take a little time to get through but once I did they were very efficient. Two guys came around within the hour (as they had said they would), had a very quick listen from inside the flat and agreed that the noise was too much. They then stated they would post a notice on the door of the offending premises, which would give the owner an hour to comply, (the guys said that although this was likely to have no affect it was the law), and if no action had been taken they would return with the police and locksmith to enter the premises and switch off the alarm (and secure it again!). They said I didn't have to stay around, they would sort it from that point - they were straight enough to say that the process would take a few hours as they can rarely get the police & locksmith straight away.

I went out and came back around 5pm, everything fixed.

My call was made at 11am - so I don't think the 10pm rule can still apply.

Good luck.
Tuesday 10 February 2004 9.16pm
I've dealt with the Noise Team a couple of times, and they have been brilliant. It can sometimes take a little longer than you'd like for the noise to be stopped, but they do seem to get it done as quickly as possible, and are really proactive about keeping you informed of progress.

I found it hard to believe they were part of Southwark Council as they are certainly the most efficient part of that organisation I have ever dealt with!
Wednesday 11 February 2004 4.34pm
Yet again had problems with the said alarm on the evening of friday 6th.
Called the noise team to report it at 6.30pm, 7.30pm, 8.19pm, & 10.15pm.....actually on first name terms by the end of the evening! The reason for the number of calls was due to the alarm going off intermittently, by the time the response team arrived at the scene, the alarm had stopped, GRrrrrr.
I did stand at my front door with my phone so they could hear the alarm at one point, as I thought they may think I was a crank caller!!
Thankfully, the last call I made to report the alarm, they informed me that they had written a letter of complaint to the company causing the problem.
The alarm did stop at 10.45pm & amazingly did NOT start again that evening, I am also pleased to say that I have not heard it since..Yippeeee!
They were very good & only have praise for the job they do, as I have had to deal with them frequently in the past.

Here's looking forward to peaceful nights in!!!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: